AO-X compatibility update

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Ron Frisk, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ron Frisk

Ron Frisk Cyanogen Customer

Hi Doug - a clarification please. Do the new drivers and firmware now allow AO-X to work properly with Version 6 or is this a fix for the camera lock up mentioned above. I cannot determine if they are one and the same problem.

Thanks, Ron

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The problem is one and the same.

3. Jimmy Walker

Jimmy Walker Cyanogen Customer

I am happy to announce that NMSkies has updated my camera's firmware and software to the latest versions and the AOX is working for us with Maxim 6 and ACP. It isn't perfect but we are seeing some results.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. Ron Frisk

Thanks for the confirmation Doug. Great job on getting this issue resolved. Just waiting on weather to use.

Cheers, Ron

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sorry it took so long; it was a tricky one. As it happens, the acquisition finally made it possible for us to debug the MaxIm DL plug-in, the SBIG Universal driver, and the camera firmware simultaneously.

Please be sure to report back here if any other issues are found.

6. Ron Frisk

No apology necessary Doug - Thanks and I'll report back in when the weather gives me an opportunity to try it out.

CS, Ron

7. Ron Frisk

Hey Doug - proof is in the pudding. Disregard the quality of this image, it was strictly to test the AO-X guiding. One hour luminance exposure. Very happy with the round stars and no glitches during capture.

Cheers, Ron

Attached Files:

8. Steve cooper

Steve cooper Cyanogen Customer

No pics to post yet but mine is working too. Seems to be working real good.
    Thanks,
    Steve

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's excellent news! Thanks for reporting back.

10. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Doug
    The update has not worked for me unfortunately. My camera hung in exactly the same way with a receive timeout error (sometimes a transmission timeout error). As usual The SkyX and CCDAutopilot then hung (obviously). After that, I get the usual SBIG Camera Not Found error which requires a power cycle, at -25 degs I might add (how healthy is that for the camera?).

Now that you have updated the driver and firmware let me know what elements of the debug log you require. Although, theses have been submitted before.

Martin Pugh

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Grrr... Adam will follow up with you after the weekend. But first please check that the firmware version was in fact updated.

I wouldn't worry too much about the power cycling; the thermal shock thing is overblown. The temperature of the sensor doesn't increase that quickly even if the power goes off. It is more of a concern when you have extremely high delta T (e.g. a vacuum camera), and even then it would require many, many cycles to cause a problem.

12. Martin Pugh

Hi Doug/Adam
    Here is some additional information:
    The guider seems to be the main issue - I have not seen a hang while the main chip is being exposed, only when the guider is being exposed. It has been some months now but if I recall correctly, traditional guiding is not affected, only when the AOX is involved. Not only did SBIG replace the camera, but I have also changed out USB cables and the HDMI cable connecting the camera to the FW.

The logs I sent to Jan had information in there that may have been relevant but I am not sure where that went. So it is probably best if Adam advises which elements he wants recorded in the driver. The camera is hanging nightly at the moment - and last night I achieved 40 minutes imaging time before the camera hung on a night of 1 arcsecond seeing. Not happy. Unfortunately, CCDAP does not always catch the hang and therefore fails to alert me.

Martin

13. Martin Pugh

Doug/Adam

here are sample entries in the CCDAutopilot log which occurs each time the camera hangs: (Note, the log can either report a transmission or a receive

Example 1:
    I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: SBIG driver: Transmission timeout. Error = 30007.

Example 2:
    20:42:09 I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: SBIG driver: Receive timeout. Error = 30008.

Example 3:
    01:17:49 Guide star measurement 1
    09:01:19 SGC1 CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1:, COleException: The remote procedure call failed.
    (800706BE) SCODE: 800706be.
    09:01:19 I:FAM1:, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Image.1: COleException: The RPC server is unavailable.
    (800706BA) SCODE: 800706ba.
    09:01:19 SG12: CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Image.1: COleException: The RPC server is unavailable.
    09:01:19 Peak guide star ADU: 0, measured at 0.01 sec.
    09:01:19 Guider x: 0.0, y: 0.0, Array: 0x0
    09:01:19 Guide star measurement 2
    09:01:19 I:SG2, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: COleException: The RPC server is unavailable.

Hope this helps

Martin

14. Frank Barnes

Frank Barnes Standard User

Doug,
    I have a SBIG STL6303E + FW8 + AOX +RGH running under TheSkyX + CAO. I realize the camera is older technology, but I'm not getting the hangs like Martin. Would there be any testing I can do to provide a comparison that might help resolve this issue? I do have a copy of MaximDL, but it is not the most current version.

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Martin, are you certain you installed the new STXL firmware correctly? The problem you are describing sounds exactly like the firmware issue our guys fixed.

16. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I have another customer reporting the same issue with the firmware in TSX (post fix) — I've got some logs from him demonstrating the failure. Any SBIG Driver logs demonstrating the hang would obviously be helpful in our sussing out this issue.

17. Martin Pugh

Hi Doug - yes I can absolutely confirm I updated the driver and firmware. I am glad someone else is reporting the error.

Adam - do you have specific elements of the driver you would want us to capture for this particular error?

thanks
    Martin

18. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

CC/MC Temperature, and CC/MC Status are the important ones; but frankly, it would be prudent to turn everything on for the test. Just remember to turn it off when you're done, so you don't keep generating huge log files.

19. Martin Pugh

Ok Adam, will get that log and it looks like the weather is clearing up at my obs so it should not be too long.

Thanks
    Martin

20. Beau Worsham

Beau Worsham Cyanogen Customer

I am thinking about replacing the Astrodon MOAG-A/SBig AO-L with a Astrodon MonsterMOAG/SBig AO-X combination. My flats have vignetting around the corners. I think the larger MOAG will resolve this issue. I corresponded with Don at Astrodon and he said the MonsterMOAG had not been tested with the AO-X. I know I can replace the MOAG-A with a MonsterMOAG, however I don't want to lose the active optics guiding I have now using the older MOAG-A/AO-L combination.

I image remotely using TheSkyX with T-Point and Camera add-on's. My optical train consists of the following components mated with a RCOS 20" Carbon Truss Scope.

SBIG STL-11000XM CCD
    CFW-STL 8-position 50mm filter wheel
    SBIG Remote Guide Head
    Astrodon MOAG-A Off-Axis Guider
    SBIG AO-L adaptive optics unit
    RCOS Precision Instrument Rotator
    RCOS 100mm Series - Field Flattener/Corrector (FFC-100mm)

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I mount a MonsterMOAG to the AO-X for active optics guiding, and is it compatible with my existing optical train (STL-11000XM)?
    2. Will TheSkyX drive the AO-X?
    3. What other considerations should I be aware of?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Beau Worsham