16803 firmware update

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dave, May 21, 2020.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

Always leary of these because every time you click on the "update firmware" you get the warning not to update unless there is a problem or instructed to do so. I don't think I am having a problem but I am troubleshooting my star image quality, most likely on the tracking side of things. For my 16803 there appears to be an update available from stxa.bf2 version 2.54. I am using the most current driver checker which I believe is 4.05 version 0. Is this a recommended firmware update to execute?
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

How about send us a FITS image, binned 1x1, showing a starfield?
    You might have to use Dropbox/Google Drive/Wetransfer due to the image size.

Am curious what you're seeing ok and what you suspect is going on, so it would be good to know more about your setup. A photo of the observatory would be fantastic if we can see all the equipment.

Usually updating drivers is good; firmware when an actual known issue is present.
    If you decide to do the firmware, do it on the workbench, with short cables, good power supply, a UPS in case of power failures, lightning storms, no power saving modes on the computer, be patient patient patient. After it is done, it can take a couple minutes to actually finish; then the camera is restarted, does its self test etc.

3. Dave

Dave Standard User

Ok thanks. Drivers are up to date. I will hold off on the firmware for now. As far as the star images it has to do with very suddenly (couple days) aberrant aspect ratios that does not look at all like a tracking problem and interestingly is not immediately obvious visually but was way off when initially measured (as high as 40!). This was measured with multiple programs- same result. Unfortunately I deleted these as I have already nearly cut this deficit in half with quick recollimation just to start off, although it's still a ways to go to return to what I had just a week ago. If my basic troubleshooting on the mount, telescope side i.e. continuing recollimation , polar alignment recheck, tracking etc etc does not resolve the problem I will let you know with images etc, and otherwise update regardless
    Thanks again!
    Dave