Using ST2000-XM as Autoguider

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Mike Hambrick, May 23, 2020.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

While my STi is in for repairs I am looking at using my old ST2000-XM for an autoguider. The guide port on the camera is the old style DB9 type connector which uses a tracking interface cable adapter to connect to the phone jack on my mount (Astro-Physics 1100GTO). Are there any precautions I need to take or other watchouts ?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

3. Mike Hambrick

Thanks Colin

I still have the tracking interface cable that came with the camera. It has a male DB9 plug on the camera end and a RJ12 plug on the scope / mount end. When I was using an Astro-Physics 800 mount with mechanical relays I had to plug the tracking interface cable into a relay adapter box , and there was another cable that went from the relay adapter box into the mount controller. Now that I am using a 1100 GTO mount I was thinking that I can just plug the RJ12 end of the tracking interface cable directly into the control box on the 1100 mount.

4. Mike Hambrick

Hi again Colin

I found a drawing of the tracking interface cable that now has me wondering if this is the right cable. The thing that has me concerned is the warning statement on the drawing that says that the cable is only for the relay adapter box. I had originally thought that all I needed to do was plug the RJ11 end into the guide port on my mount, but I think it would be prudent to have you or Doug comment before I do anything. What do you think ?
    upload_2020-5-24_19-45-1.png

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Remove the white wire. Some mounts use that pin for other purposes, and feeding 12V into that might spell disaster.

6. Mike Hambrick

Thanks Doug You have confirmed what I had finally concluded after digging through my manuals and the SBIG archives. I found the connection diagrams below on the web site. The right hand diagram shows what I used to do with my old 800 mount. The left diagram shows what I need to do to get the camera to work as a guider with my 1100 mount. The ST-7-RC adapter is exactly what you describe with the white 12V DC wire not connected to anything. I also have one of the ST-7-RC adapters in my set of cable connections, but I ended up making my own cable to plug directly into the AO/CFW/SCOPE port on the camera.

upload_2020-5-25_10-40-9.png