Configuring TheSkyX and SBIG STX cameras with STX Guider

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Colin Haig, May 28, 2020.

1. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'm providing this information so that it may help people using Software Bisque's TheSkyX software with the SBIG STX and STXL cameras, when used with an STX guider or FW8G-STXL self-guiding filter wheel.

Note that Software Bisque supports this software, not Diffraction Limited. This is merely provided as a convenience.

People often have a problem with getting a guide image. This is usually because TheSkyX has to be told to use the External Guider, not the internal guide chip on SBIG cameras. The external guider (plugged into the Remote Guide Head port) can only be selected when TSX is connected to the main camera.

For this example, I am using TheSky X Professional Edition 10.5.0 Build 12545 with the Camera Add-on.
    TheSkyX cannot pre-configure all the necessary settings for cameras until the main camera is connected.
    This might seem unusual, and it is the source of many user's problem.

In TSX, set up the Camera as STX Cameras, or SBIG with AO (All models ...).
    Connect to the Camera.
    tsx_camera_SBIG.png

Next, set up the Autoguider as SBIG Imager's built-in autoguider
    tsx_autoguider.png

By default, this will use the internal guider sensor chip. If you have a newer STX, it doesn't have one.
    You then have to use Setup to pick the external guider.
    tsx_external_guider.png
    There is NO way to choose Internal/External if you don't connect to the camera.
    This means you can't prepare this in advance. The camera must be attached and powered on, and then connected.

You may wish to set up your filter wheel.
    For example, SBIG FW7-STX.
    Similarly, you cannot set up the filters unless the camera is connected.

2. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

Colin,
    Nice write up, oh how many times has this been repeated.

Do you mind if I link to this when the question comes up on the SB site?

Hope all is well, stay safe.

Tom

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Tom - go right ahead. And if I've missed anything, feel free to chime in.
    Maybe we'll make this sticky.

4. Dale Mais

Dale Mais Cyanogen Customer

Hi all thanks for the directions, I am able to connect the camera and choose imager built in guider, but was unable to find where to choose external guider as seen in third image above

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

In TheSkyX, the camera must be connected. Select the Autoguider, but DO NOT connect it. Instead, change its settings, and it should allow that.

6. sheakev

sheakev Standard User

Hi Colin!

Using the latest version of TheSkyX with the camera add-on I am able to connect my STXL-11002 using the method described above (I chose the SBIG STX Cameras as the camera given the choices). It will take a light frame. But the image resembles a flat field.

When I connect the auto guide camera (FW8g-STXL using the "Imager's built in autoguider" and then I select "External autoguider") I can connect but I get what appears to be a dark (or bias) frame regardless of exposure length. It is set for light frames.

I am not certain where to go next. This is all new equipment for me. My experience has been with ZWO ASI2600MM so maybe I'm missing something fundamental. The telescope is not covered, it is in a dome.

Kevin
    Rodeo NM

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Check the ADU counts eg pixel values in the images. ADU of about 1000 would correspond to a bias or dark frame; on main sensor, ADU count over 30000 would be a light frame (or inside of the dome, if no stars).

8. sheakev

sheakev Standard User

Colin,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I believe the root cause was the video cable between the main camera and the filter wheel was not firmly seated. After I ensured that the cables were all good the cameras and filter wheel seem to be responding with the selections I made. Chaulk another one up caused by operator error. ;)
    Kevin