Is anti-blooming option is coded in the individual camera S/N

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by CrossoverManiac, May 29, 2020.

1. CrossoverManiac

CrossoverManiac Standard User

Is it possible to tell if an ST-8 is ABG or NAGB by its serial number? This is for those instances where the seller doesn't know?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No it is not part of the serial number.

We have a database that includes (almost) all cameras that have been manufactured in the last 20 years or so. It includes that information. If you can get us the serial number we can look it up.

3. CrossoverManiac

The S/N is 8I0203111.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hmm... can't find it. Are you certain the number is correct? 8I is not a normal way to start the part number.

5. CrossoverManiac

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Oh... it's a parallel port camera. Very old. Our database doesn't go back that far. The only parallel port ST-8's that show up are ones that had been in for service at some point.

Be warned... you won't be able to use that camera on a computer running anything higher than Windows XP. And it must have a built-in (not plug-in) parallel port.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Amazingly, Bill remembers what the "8I" serial number cameras were. They were an industrial version - no guide sensor - with a gold colored body. They were built for another company as an OEM product.

Given the vintage of the product and the format of the serial number, it is probably NABG and it won't be an "E" (enhanced blue response) sensor. So it will have low blue response.

8. CrossoverManiac

I do have an ST-7E with a parallel port that I was able to run on a computer that initially had Windows Vista, which I recently upgraded to Windows 10 so I could run my camera using Sequence Generator Pro and I'm still able to run the ST-7E off of it, though that's only possible because the computer was a 32-bit system. From what I've heard of other people with parallel port cameras, the 64-bit PCs are the real deal killers.

Given that it will have a low blue response and may or may not be NABG, I probably won't buy it.