Resolved STT-8300WSG Failing to download images

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Jan S Rek, May 6, 2020.

1. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok Jan, no worries. Just let me know when we can try again. TV is my preference.

2. Jan S Rek

Jan S Rek Standard User

Hi Colin.
    All seems clear now to give you access to my remote PC to check out the STT-8300WSG camera driver.
    Please let me know when it would be convenient to you.
    Thanks
    Jan

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Perhaps we could try tomorrow. Am overloaded today. Let me know what time it would get dark.

4. Jan S Rek

Jan S Rek Standard User

Doesn't need to be dark Colin. We can take dark frames, light frames or any image without moving the mount. All I need is to get the camera connected and take one image of anything. The current issue is that the camera has been working but will not download the image. I'm about to get to my bed now but I'll try a connection and take an image if I can connect. If it connects I can guarantee that an image download will fail.
    As I reported earlier in the ticket, I am on UTC+1, ie British Summer Time. 5 hour time difference.
    Tomorrow I can make it any time to suit you but I can offer a starter of 2 pm BST. Is if not convenient let me know the best time for you.
    I am going to try to get a support guy on-site and we can try a 3-way TV session. I am not confident the connection will be reliable but we'll give it a go.
    Just tried to connect to TV - no way!!
    I can connect with Splashtop no problem
    Please do nothing until I get back to you...
    Thanks
    Jan

5. Jan S Rek

Jan S Rek Standard User

Colin - we're good to go. TV connection linked OK this morning. Are you OK to come on line at 3 pm our time?

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Yes. When you are all powered up and ready to go, send a Private Message with the ID / PWD.

7. Jan S Rek

Jan S Rek Standard User

Are you having trouble linking Colin?

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

No, its not 10am EDT yet; will be on in a minute.

9. Jan S Rek

Jan S Rek Standard User

Good work Craig - we can close the ticket.
    Thanks for your patience.
    All the best
    Jan

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We're not done yet !
    There was no fault with the SBIG camera, but two things:
    1. Your guy Colin will change the USB power device supplying power to the USB switchable hub to eliminate the USB Unknown device error. I believe he will do this now.
    2. For the COM3: and COM4: devices, you guys need to turn OFF (uncheck) [] Serial enumeration. This will prevent problems with Microsoft assigning a Serial mouse to where the focusers are attached, and that would cause all kinds of trouble.

If you run into future troubles with performance, I would put the SBIG camera on its own USB2.0 connection straight to the back of the computer. The SBIGs tend to download faster than the Moravians, and if you are running multiple cameras simultaneously (and have the SX CCD in there too), USB performance can suffer/become unreliable.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Here's a screen shot of what you need to check for each COMx: serial port device on your machine.
    Start windows Device Manager
    Ports
    for each USB Serial Port (COM1 through COM7 or however many you have)
    Right click.... Properties.
    If there is an Advanced button, click that.
    Then check if you have these settings.
    ftdichip.png
    These only apply to FTDIchip based devices, not Keyspan or others.
    The essentials are that Selective Suspend must be OFF (unchecked), and Serial Enumeration must be OFF (unchecked).

12. Jan S Rek

Jan S Rek Standard User

OK Colin. Done all of these.
    I'm very pleased with your findings and very impressed with your expertise.
    Thanks for your patience - I'm delighted to have my favorite camera back in action even though it turned out not to be a camera fault.
    Best wishes
    Jan

Colin Haig likes this.