Resolved What does the AO-X do when not in use?

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Russell Croman, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Russell Croman

Russell Croman Cyanogen Customer

I'm trying to track down a non-periodic error in my mount tracking. It may indeed be the mount, but I want to rule out other factors. This on a Paramount MX+ carrying an FSQ-106, Nitecrawler, AO-X, SC-3, FW7-STX, and STX-16803. The AO-X is powered, but not in use (AO sensor is set to "Off" in the camera setup).

Here is the tracking error measurement over about 7.5 worm gear cycles. PEC is turned off, as is pro-track:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.56.29 AM.png

Could the AO window be moving? What does it do when it's powered but not in use?

-Russ

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It just sits there.

3. Russell Croman

Are the voice coils powered? Any chance of drift due to supply voltage fluctuation, etc?

-Russ

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes the voice coils are powered at all times. The coil drive voltage is controlled by an internal regulator. The coil drive is PWM so it is very stable and precise.

5. Russell Croman

Great... thanks. We've found some mechanical slop in the mount and tightened it up... hopefully that will result in a more periodic PE. :)

-Russ

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It doesn't take much! Mere microns of motion will show up.

I'll mark this as Resolved. You can post again if you discover something new.

Russell Croman likes this.