Beginner Problems

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Walter Sullivan, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Walter Sullivan

Walter Sullivan Cyanogen Customer

Two Major Problems:

1. Maxim DL 6 does not recognize my SBIG STXL Camera. So I cannot see if I can get a photo through Maxim.
    2. TSX does recognize the camera, but when I take a light photo (for varying durations), I get lots and lots of tiny specks with a big haze and gradient. Nothing remotely looking like a star. If I take a 5 minute photo, there is an outline of 2 very large circles slightly denser than the rest of the haze. I focused from one extreme to the other and no difference. It does not look much different from a dark frame. I did shine a light in front of the scope and got a white photo.

In the light frame info, it says "file does not conform to FITS standard"
    Connections are OK. In Maxim, I cannot see how to determine if it is a COM port problem. I was using a USB Hub and then plugged the camera in directly to computer, but nothing changed.

These are very basic problems. I am hoping that I am doing something dumb and it is fixable. I am concerned about the camera itself, since TSX can operate it, but with poor results.

It's a little disheartening to read a great deal about how to do things, but cannot get to first base.

Thanks for your help.
    Walter

2. Walter Sullivan

Additional to above:

I am making sure I have updated SBIG driver. I have SBIG driver check. It has been there for a while. I click it when it says update. It downloads drivers . I click Update. It seems to finish. However, all the drivers on the chart say 2015 and there is no column that says Yes. I get the page with the instructions. I do not think it installed the new drivers because of the 205. It says to go to the products page and click on my product and then download driver, but I do not see my STLX camera, so how do I do this. Since my camera is not working, it could be the driver. How do I get the recent drivers?
    Thank you.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I believe you have a very old SBIGDriverChecker. We've made changes.
    1. Uninstall the old SBIGDriverChecker.
    2. Download ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe
    3. Run the installer
    4. Run the driver checker. and confirm UAC prompt.
    5. Click Update.
    6. Click Yes.
    7. When finished downloading, click Done.
    8. Click OK for release notes.
    9. Click Update Me
    10. Click OK when done.

4. Walter Sullivan

Thank you. I was able to download the driver. I will try the camera tonight. However, Maxim DL6 (Version 6.16) says it could not initialize Camera 1 and could not detect Camera 2. Camera is a 11002. Not sure how to setup the guider, but first step is get it to recognize Camera 1. Advice?

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Do you have SBIG Universal selected in MaxIm DL?
    like this:
    camcontrolsbig.png

6. Walter Sullivan

Yes, I do. As I said in the post above, I am getting a great deal of electronic noise on light images with dark subtraction. My camera and filter have been sitting for 3 years, though protected. I was hoping I could have you check it, give it a tune up that I would be happy to pay for.

Besides Maxim not "initializing" camera one. It does not see a second camera (guider in the STLX 11002). In TSX, it recognizes the camera, but only if I say it is a STX. It does not recognize the STLX. I cannot figure how TSX is supposed to "sees" my guide camera since it will not recognize the STLX. I am concerned that maybe the camera and/ or filter are not behaving the way they should. I have a great deal about Maxim and want to use it. I am hoping I will not need TSX for my camera so I do not have to worry about TSX.

I am a beginner in imaging and having so many things not work right out the box is disconcerting (it does not help being 68 either). Your help is greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if I can have you look at my camera.

Thank you.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Walter, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to set up either a phone call or a remote session via TeamViewer, AnyDesk, or some other tool so I can remotely access your PC and walk you through it.
    We're on EDT (UTC-4). Let me know your timezone and when might be a good time to sort through this together.

8. Walter Sullivan

Excellent Idea and much appreciated.
    I am on Pacific Time. My telescope is in AZ and I live in Las Vegas. I am in AZ now , but have to go back to LV tomorrow at any time. Would I need to do this at the telescope or could we do this with just the camera and filter/ Mornings are not good for me. Today, I am not able to do anything until 4 PM Pacific. So, let me know if I can do this tomorrow after 3 PM your time if telescope needed or anytime after tomorrow in LV with telescope. I can use my Mac to talk and have to PC free to do whatever. There is no rush, of course, and happy to go by your schedule. Thank you.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We need the PC the camera is connected to. Let's do 3:30pm EDT if that works, tomorrow.

10. Walter Sullivan

That would be fine. I have TeamView, but never used it. How do we hook up?
    Walter