aluma8300/FW8G will not track

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Robert Price, May 24, 2020.

1. Robert Price

Robert Price Cyanogen Customer

I can tell you when it started tracking there was a bright star in the center that slowly drifter to the lower left until it disappeared out of the frame. You can just make out what is left of the image in frame 653, see the star before it drifted in attached frame 563. It will be cloudy the next few days so no images. serial # AL8300M18081401

Attached Files:

2. Robert Price

Forgot firmware rev is 20.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, I had a look at your settings.
    Since the guide camera is an FW8G-Aluma, built into the filter wheel, it has a 0.7x focal reducer lens in it.
    Please change File... Settings... Site and Optics... Guide Telescope Focal length to 530mm x 0.7 = 371 mm

Next, go to the Camera Control Window.
    Under camera 1, Options.
    Turn threading ON at the bottom of the options, I've circled it in green:
    threading.png

It might be a good idea to record the guider tracking images as well.
    Camera Control Window
    Guide tab
    Options [>] button
    Check (turn on) Record Tracking Images

You may wish to set up the telescope under the Observatory Control Window.
    This will come in handy, as MaxIm will record where the telescope was pointing in the images it gets.
    Setup tab.
    Click the Telescope [>] button.
    Choose the astro-physics mount, set its properties as well.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We'd also appreciate it if you could give us a screen shot of the DL Config program screens for Sensor 1, and Sensor 2 tabs.

5. Robert Price

I had a change to borrow a Win8 laptop and see if the MaxIm program would work on it. Like the windows 10 laptop it calibrates and a track windows opens but the track star (a very bright star) immediately drifts up. What is worse is it does not let me take an exposure with the main CCD, when I try while tracking nothing happens and the MaxIm stops working. I also reformatted my windows 7 laptop and reinstalled MaxIm. As with the previous install, MaxIm will calibrate but no track window opens when I start the track function. You asked about the "L" shaped calibration, it looks like an upside down "L". Also note in the images what I noted before, the x and y information displayed the camera 2 display information window are reversed in the graph window. Attached are some images of the display.

Attached Files:

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The L is fine. It can be oriented in any direction, depending on which way you have the camera turned on the back of the telescope.
    Ideally, it would line up with the stars moving across the rows of the sensor when moving in RA, and moving up/down the column when moving in DEC.
    MaxIm will understand what is going on, and it will use this info in the calibration.
    So the L in the first image is perfect, the scope looks like it moved in both axes.

For guiding, I suggest you pick a star that is 6-8th magnitude. It is easier for the software to find the centroid when the star isn't overwhelmingly bright like the one shown in images 2,3,4.

Did you download and install MaxIm 6.22 and the DL Imaging 1.7.1.0 software?

7. Robert Price

I have not upgraded, I am really fed it with this camera. I tried to upgrade the WiFi since the config info says its rev 3. the instructions say start DL Config and click download WiFi. There is no download WiFi. I am pulling my hair out with this. Here are some of the cameras I have been able to get working without any problem:

Orion StarShoot Pro with MaxIm DL Essentials

STL-11000m and all SBIG cameras (except Aluma) with CCDOps 5

Orion Autoguider PHD sofyware

Orion Planetary CCD PHD

STL-11000m RGH

STX RGH

ST-2000m

QHY5L-II PHD2 software

QHY5III290 PHD2

QSI 690 wsg5 with SGP software

QSI 683 wsg8 with SGP software

STF-8300m

ST-8300m

ATIK one 9 and guider CCD with ATIK software

STT-8300

STT-8300 FW8G

STT-8300m FW8g AO

STXL-11002m

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I can tell you're very frustrated - we've offered suggestions and asked you questions, but this is taking far too long to get anywhere.

How about we schedule a telephone call and/or remote internet access to your PC ?
    We're on EDT (UTC-4). What timezone are you in?
    You can also call our office between 9am and 5pm EDT any time.

9. Robert Price

I just reinstalled the firmware v 20. If you still want to do the access we can do it today or tomorrow after 2pm. I am the EST zone, its 5pm here

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Let's do it tomorrow at 2pm.
    Send me a Private Message with a telephone number that works, and if you have TeamViewer or another remote access tool, the credentials for signing on.