Resolved CCDOps crashes when connecting to camera

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by letteri, Jun 23, 2017.

1. letteri

letteri Standard User

CCDOps crashes for me any time it tries to establish a link to the camera.

Running Windows 10, up to date as of today, and all SBIG drivers and firmware are up to date.

This is happening with both an STT-8300 and an STXL-11002.

Image attached.

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The most likely cause is corrupt drivers or CCDOps is corrupted.

Do you have the latest version of CCDOps and the SBIGDriverChecker64 installed?

Have you tried re-installing CCDOps?

Have you tried using SBIGDriverChecker64 to "Remove" the current drivers, then re-installing them?

3. letteri

letteri Standard User

Yes, I deleted all of the drivers, the SBIGDriverChecker64 software and CCDOps. Then I rebooted the computer, downloaded the latest installers from the web site, reinstalled everything and powered up the camera. CCDOps still crashes as soon as it tries to establish a link to the camera.

I will try doing that all again when I get a chance.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Is the camera directly connected to the PC, or is it connected to a USB hub first? USB hubs frequently cause issues. If you can test with a direct connection to the PC, that could help eliminate that as a possible cause.

5. Niall MacNeill

Niall MacNeill Standard User

What was the upshot of all this?

6. letteri

letteri Standard User

The USB on the camera just won't connect. I have two other SBIG cameras that connect with no problems, but not this one.
    I am near the ocean and the last time I sent a camera in for repair Bill cleaned up some corrosion (different camera) , so I suspect that may also be the problem here.
    I still have to send it in for a proper diagnosis.

7. Niall MacNeill

Thanks for your reply. My version of CCDOps just crashes when I try to connect the camera. No message....it just disappears. All my drivers are up to date and I just downloaded the program again, so I am at a loss to understand the problem.
    My issue is that my SBIG 16803 seems to be applying RBI pre flash to every image. I have tried to turn it off through Sequence Generator Pro, but that doesn't seem to be working, so I thought to ascertain the settings that are being applied though CCDOps, but was stymied again because the software doesn't work. Ugh.
    Thus my question as to what happened in your instances.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Niall - that's odd - I agree CCDops shouldn't just "disappear" on connect.
    Can you check the Windows Event Viewer for an Applicatiion Error related to CCDOPS.exe ?
    Like this example with the Green Arrow (although the example is MaxIm, the error would have the CCDOPS.exe instead).
    event_applicationerr.png

9. Niall MacNeill

Hi Colin,

I did as you suggested.

Firstly here is a DropBox link to a video of me trying to connect CCDOps to my camera so you can see exactly what happens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8nnsfv5hdogb6j/IMG_2896.MOV?dl=0

Here is the Event Viewer log of the failure

Event Capture CCDOps failure.JPG

This is the full text from the message:

Faulting application name: Ccdops.exe, version: 5.6.6.1, time stamp: 0x5c12ce76

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.815, time stamp: 0x2995af02

Exception code: 0xc0150010

Fault offset: 0x0008f7de

Faulting process id: 0x33c8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d65fd97efaacba

Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\CCDOps5\Ccdops.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 17b9e433-ba32-4607-a739-bae5e4cb90af

Faulting package full name:

I clearly need to get CCDOps working as I don't really want to have to pay for MaxIm DL just to turn off the pre-flash on my camera. Given the issues I have had with SGPro, see the other forum post on RBI pre-flash"
    - it can't turn off RBI pre-flash once it has started it
    - it doesn't offer the STX FW7 as an option. When I selected STX FW5, as the only alternative, it only gives me 5 filter wheel positions to selected and I am not even sure of these are the right ones
    I may be obliged to run with MaxIm DL anyways as I am sure these are not problems with this software.

Do you have any interaction with the folk from Main Sequence as to how they interface with your equipment? I have raised these issues with them but not had a response as yet.

Thanks & regards,

Niall

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The faulting module name is "ntdll.dll" which is a Microsoft operating system component, not a piece of CCDops per se.
    I suggest you check the system RAM using the Microsoft Memory Diagnostics and Memtest.org.
    Also check for operating system corruption (Google DISM and SFC /scannow).
    This could also be a problem with a missing runtime library.

I see another application error 1 second before this one - lower down in the Windows event viewer.
    What's that one say?

Do you have the latest CCDops? v5.66 Build 1 ?

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

12. Niall MacNeill

Thanks Colin. I do have the latest CCDOps v5.66 Build 1. Unfortunately, or fortunately :) I'm an astronomer not a computer geek, so all this stuff is a bit over my head. I have a brand new desk top, so I will also try loading the software up on that to check that. I will also have a crack at the fixes you suggested....thank you. How do Microsoft get off selling me software that is so fragile?

13. Niall MacNeill

When I went to install the Microsoft Visual C 10 runtime download, it came back with a message that it can't do it because "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine". I take it this means there is no problem in this regard?

14. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Correct, if it is saying it has it already, you should be good. I'd still do the SFC/scannow

15. Niall MacNeill

I installed the camera drivers and CCDOps on my desktop and it worked fine. So clearly an issue with my laptop which I need to sort out. Thanks for your help on this Colin.
    At least this means I can turn pre-flash off if I ever had to use it again......presuming that taking an image with the pre-flash option not selected, turns it off.