Strange bloom when unsaturated

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by mspear, Jul 29, 2020.

1. mspear

mspear Cyanogen Customer

Using my trusty ST-10XME I am now getting a very strange streak below stars that are not saturated. The brightest on in the attached, strange bloom.fit, is saturated but the others are not. Moreover, the small "star" below the bright stars are artifacts. And none of the stars in "1 sec exp with 8 n 9 mag stars.fit" are saturated.

To make things worse, I get an error (17) when I do an exposure in "Focus" mode but not in the usual imaging mode.

Thanks,

Mark

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Camera error (17) indicates a shutter error. Probably the motor has failed or gotten sticky. Or the power supply is failing.
    @Bill could probably take a look at it and replace the motor if that is what it is.
    It could contributed to the column problems, as the KAF-3200 is NON ABG, although usually the stars would be blotched out into neighbouring pixels.
    You can reach via email to: Bill (at) sbig (dot) com

mspear likes this.
  3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's not a bloom - the shutter didn't close for readout, resulting in the trail.

That fits with the Shutter Error (17).

Best to contact Bill for service.

mspear likes this.
  4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Common causes of shutter errors are low input voltage and long USB cable runs without a powered hub. Either of these a possibility?

-Bill

mspear likes this.
  5. mspear

mspear Cyanogen Customer

Thanks to you all.
    Yes, we have a pretty long USB cable but I believe the hub is powered. I will check into it.

I recall that the shutter seemed “sticky.” I would hit the expose button and there would be a delay.

Thanks

Mark