Resolved STF-8300

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Bryan Duke, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Bryan Duke

Bryan Duke Standard User

tl;dr: I think the firmware updater may have loaded the wrong firmware to my camera or some firmware settings got messed up. I think I need a way to force-install specific firmware or the camera needs to go back to the shop.

Here's the history and what I've done so far...

I'm the original owner of an STF-8300C, serial number 83F020517. It's seen very light use since new in 2012 (<10 nights per year). The camera went back to the shop in April 2013 for a shutter motor issue (thanks Bill & Matt). I haven't used it in about a year, but I took all my gear out the other day to get it ready for an imaging session next later this week. I updated my Windows 10 astro-laptop to the latest version of SBIGDriveChecker64 and updated the drivers.

After updating the drivers, I took some darks and noticed that there was a vertical band of lighter pixels covering about the left 1/5th of each image. It wasn't gross, but it was noticeable. Definitely enough to ruin dark sky shots. Nebulosity, CCDOps and SGP all had the same result on that computer. I swapped USB ports & USB cables, but that didn't change anything.

I connected the camera to a Mac that still had older drivers and the images taken from it looked normal, so I guessed that the newer Windows drivers were somehow not working right with the camera. I checked the firmware and it said there were updates to both firmware files. So, I performed the firmware updates.

Since the firmware update, the camera doesn't appear to operate normally and the output FIT files (at any duration or cooling setting) have every pixel at the same output value of 100.

The most interesting thing I've found so far is that the camera now gets reported in CCDOps as an STF-1603 Color instead of an STF-8300C.

Computer details:
    Windows 10 Pro, 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    Device Manager shows: SBIG USB-64 Camera With Firmware
    CCDOps v5.66 Build 1-NT
    Driver & Firmware version screenshots are attached

Additionally, the camera does the standard set of clicks when it's powered on, then two sets of those clicks when I establish the link between CCDOps and the camera. If I take single shots in CCDOps, I also get one loud click at the end of each frame.

I attached a FITs file from a 60second dark and some screenshots from CCDOps & DriverChecker64.

Help please? I'd love to get this camera going again.

SBIG Driver Checker Firmware tab.png SBIG Driver Checker Drivers tab.png CCDOps STF-1603 Color status bar.png CCDOps 60 second grab.png CCDOps Camera Info.png

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Our colleague @Bill will be in touch.

3. Bryan Duke

Bryan Duke Standard User

Thanks Colin.

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

5. Bryan Duke

Bryan Duke Standard User

Thanks a ton for the help!

If you'd like, you can mark this as resolved.