Maxim DL and ASCOM

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SolarMaximum, Aug 24, 2020.

1. SolarMaximum

SolarMaximum Standard User

It would appear that I have the drivers installed for my Apogee camera:
    upload_2020-8-24_20-4-33.png

But when I start up Maxim DL, it can't see the camera - I have been told by a couple of people to use ASCOM (Platform 6.5 is installed and so is .NET 3.5) but anytime I try to use ASCOM I only have the camera simulators as options:
    upload_2020-8-24_20-7-21.png

If I use the Apogee USB/Net as the camera model - and do a [Discover] and/or [Search] I get nothing:
    upload_2020-8-24_20-9-30.png

Any ideas? Suggestions? I've tried ASCOM Diagnostics, I uninstalled MAXIM DL a couple of times; I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and ASCOM itself - nothing seems to work....CCD is powered on, USB connection is good (Otherwise wouldn't show up in Device Manager)....
    Running out of options....

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The layers of the cake are like this:
    Windows
    Apogee windows drivers = since the camera is showing in Device Manager, we know these are installed.
    Apogee Plug In for Maxim OR Apogee ASCOM Driver + ASCOM Platform = We don't know if these are installed correctly.
    MaxIm

Use the Apogee camera control software on its own, to see if it then sees the camera and can get an image.
    If it does, then move on to the next step.
    If not, you need to figure out why not.
    One customer I know found that the driver versions installed in Windows drivers was different than the plug-in version and this was the problem.
    Another customer reported that the Apogee software wouldn't talk because of mismatches in Apogee's software

Once the Apogee utility can see the camera, then move on to MaxIm. there are two possible ways MaxIm can control the camera.
    a) There are "plug-ins" that enable a camera for control by MaxIm. We ship a version for Apogee that may not line up with the driver version.
    This is the Apogee/Net driver.

b) ASCOM
    Uninstall/reinstall of MaxIm is a waste of your time. The problem is likely the Apogee software stack including their ASCOM drivers.
    If you don't see an Apogee camera listed in the ASCOM chooser (from the ASCOM Diagnostics or from MaxIm), this likely means that the Apogee ASCOM driver is not installed correctly and that it did not register in the list.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member