Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud (ASCOM.DLImaging.Camera) Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by PeteFleurant, Oct 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. cytan299

cytan299 Standard User

In the meantime, can I downgrade to the previous driver?

cytan

2. cytan299

cytan299 Standard User

Hi Adam,
    One common denominator is that the OP and I both use the STF8300 with the SC-2. Although I do see the error happening without the STF8300 running, you might be able to persuade the SC-2 to show the error with the STF8300 taking data at the same time as the SC-2.

cytan

3. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

The STF/STT/STX[L] cameras operate on a completely separate library, so I'd be very surprised if that was more than a coincidence. I will, however, run a stress test with a separate simulator just to be safe.
    You're free to downgrade if you find it brings you more stability. Do you have the requisite installer for the version you want to run?

4. cytan299

cytan299 Standard User

No. Can you please send link to 1.7.1.0. This version runs on my backup laptop with zero problems with SC-2. If running this version also produces the catastrophic failure on my imaging laptop then, it must be something to do with this laptop and not SC-2.

cytan

5. cytan299

cytan299 Standard User

Here's an update. I actually have an OS backup of my main imaging computer which I reinstalled. (It's still a pain in the rear because it didn't have the latest version of Windows 10 version 20H2 build 19042.630 and needed to upgrade). The good news is that after the reinstall, I had driver 1.7.1.0 back and I've been testing this for a few hours and there's no catastrophic failure.

So I think it's a driver problem: 1.7.1.0 works well, while 1.9.1.0 is broken.

One other data point, I tried downgrading via using the SetupDLAPI.zip (1.3.0.0) that came with the SC-2. I had to uninstall the DL config utility first before the old setup would install. For whatever reason, this did *not* downgrade the driver from 1.9.1.0 to 1.7.1.0. My guess is that the uninstall did not uninstall the driver. Which driver would have been uninstalled? For the life of me I couldn't find it and so I just did the OS reinstall from backup.

cytan

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  6. cytan299

cytan299 Standard User

Hi guys,
    I just found that you've updated MaximDL and I thought I'd try it out to see if the Catastrophic failure is fixed. I installed all the files: MaximDL, DLConfig and ASCOM drivers to my backup machine from your site:

track.jpg

track1.jpg

I installed it on my backup machine that had worked (driver 1.7.1.0) without any Catastrophic errors. Unfortunately, installing these updates, I get the Catastrophic failures :( . I restored my Windows partition from my backup and everything works again.

cytan