AOX serial Cable.

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Joshua Bunn, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Joshua Bunn

Joshua Bunn Standard User

I need to purchase a new serial cable to go between the STL11K I2C port and the AOX "I2C in" port. The cable I used last time (not supplied by SBIG) didn't work and I'm pretty sure had something to do with the Filter wheel going bust. So I want to get this right this time. Is this suppose to be a straight through 9 pin serial cable, with every one of the 9 connectors being connected at the other end? I have a 9 pin serial cable here that was supplied by SBIG for use with my star chaser, between the star chaser and the AOX unit, but it is to short for this purpose. Is this the kind of cable needed?

thanks,
    Joshua

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

When you say the cable is too short, am not following what you're trying to do.
    If you're running an AO-X from a StarChaser, there is no connection to the STL. They run independently. The StarChaser controls the AO-X.
    There is a short cable that goes from the round MiniDIN to a 9pin DE connector. Then there is a longer cable to go from that to your AO-X.

If you aren't using a StarChaser, and are using AO-X with the internal guide sensor in an STL, then connect the AO-X to STL.
    All 9 wires go straight through, DE9 Male to DE9 Female cable.

Using a continuity tester / ohmmeter, check that the cable you are intended to use as the same wiring as the 9pin to 9pin cable we supplied.

3. Joshua Bunn

Thanks Colin.

I'm using the AOX with the stl11k and the remote guide head. So Yes, I will make sure it's the same as the short one supplied, and all straight through.

Regards
    Joshua.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Am curious - are you using a ONAG / dichroic / beam splitter?

5. Joshua Bunn

No, I machined my own OAG unit Colin. I put a 1.25" reducer just above the pick off prism to give me a larger guiding FOV also.

Regards
    Joshua