STT 8300 "Camera Not Found"

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Greg Crawford, May 11, 2015.

1. Greg Crawford

Greg Crawford Cyanogen Customer

I am unable to connect to my STT8300 from my observatory computer, whether through USB or Ethernet. I believe the problem is a software one because:

1. I can successfully connect and operate the camera by Ethernet using another computer on the home LAN.
    2. The problem appears to correlate with the installation, them uninstallation, of older software on the observatory computer.
    I have downloaded and installed the latest SBIG Driver Checker64, and then used it to remove drivers and then re-download and install them, but this did not solve the issue. The camera appears in the Device Manager of the observatory computer, but attempts to connect it through either MaxIm DL or CCDOps get the message "camera not found".

I'd appreciate any help in rectifying the connection problem on the observatory computer.

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Greg,

It would my a lot better if I could help you diagnose it over the phone.
    We can use team viewer as well if need be...

Regards
    Tim

3. GlennS

GlennS Cyanogen Customer

I had that problem too, then I found out that in the Camera Setup for the STT, the 'Connect To' box had Parallel selected -- not sure why, when I changed it to STT-8300M USB, it worked.

4. Greg Crawford

Hi Tim, thanks for the offer. However, I live on the east coast of Australia, and given the lengthy time required for computers to reboot, etc, that could end up a costly call. I could perhaps look at setting up Team Viewer, but if it only involves going into the registry, I could try that on the basis of email.

Glenn, thanks for the suggestion. However, I have checked and rechecked the mode of connection on the observatory computer and tried both USB and Ethernet.

5. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Greg,
    Try installing the SBIG Driver Checker64 program as an Administrator to correctly load the drivers.
    Please test with CCDOPS to see if this is a driver issue.

6. Greg Crawford

Tim, On the observatory computer I uninstalled the SBIG DriverChecker64 program and then re-installed as Administrator, then ran it as Administrator, downloaded drivers and updated. No luck connecting through either USB or Ethernet using CCDOps on the observatory computer. However, I could connect to the camera and operate it from the observatory computer using a web browser and the camera's built-in webserver. I could also connect to the camera and operate it using CCDOps and the Ethernet connection from another computer on the same LAN. Next? :confused:

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Greg,

At any point during the reinstallation of the DriverChecker etc., did it ask you if you wanted to remove the old drivers?

-Bill

8. Greg Crawford

Hi Bill, No it never asked this.

9. Bill

Greg,

I actually downloaded the DriverChecker64 and CCDOps onto a 2nd computer I have at work just this afternoon and it worked for me with practically no trouble at all. Granted, this is an older machine, I believe running XP. I had the Device Manager open and a SBIG device (STX ComCam or something similar) was found (I had a STXL-11002 connected) but it had a yellow circle and exclamation point (I think, I should've paid closer attention, there was something yellow there), I was asked by the computer if I wanted to reload the driver (I was clueless as to what it was referring to), I said yes, selected "find it automatically", it did it's thing, the Device Manager reported a SBIG Camera with Firmware and I was off and running. It's fairly evident that this is not an area of strength for me.
    I've had a couple of cameras in the past where the USB would work but Ethernet would not. I can't recall an instance when the opposite was true. With this in mind, I'm leaning towards the camera likely being good and this just needs sorting out. Of course, anything is possible I suppose.

There is a "Remove" button in the DC64. Perhaps try removing the drivers first then download and update. Or even remove everything SBIG from the machine and start from scratch. I know you're an experienced User and obviously computer savvy but you might consider the TeamViewer idea. It doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes every once in a while.

Regards.

Bill

10. Greg Crawford

OK, I surrender. If I take another laptop with CCDOps and DriverChecker64 installed, I can connect to the camera through either USB or Ethernet. Since the observatory computer won't connect through either USB or Ethernet, there must be a problem with related software on the observatory computer. I have downloaded the latest DriverChecker64 and CCDOps on the observatory computer. I have run both the DriverChecker64 installation and the driver update as Administrator. I have used DriverChecker64 to remove drivers, rebooted, install drivers and update, rebooted,but still no success.

I have TeamViewer installed, so where do we go from here? I am located at 10 hours ahead of UTC.

11. Greg Crawford

You can close this support ticket now. I took the drastic step of doing a fresh install of Windows and CCDOps will now connect to the camera. Phew! What a relief!

12. Bill

I'm happy to hear that Greg, nice going!

-Bill