AO Control Hanging Up when AC4040 Image downloads

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Greg Nelson, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I am working to get my new Aluma AC4040 Camera system with a Starchaser StC-3 Guider and AO-X up and running. I am able to calibrate the AO unit and get good control over long time periods when it is the only unit running. However, when I begin imaging and downloading frames from the AC4040, the AO unit control window in Maxim DL hangs up and the display stops updating. Specifically, the hang happens when Maxim DL downloads the image from the AC4040. Unfortunately the hang does not happen every time and I sometimes go 1, 2, but no more than 3 frames before the AO control hangs.

The characteristics of the "hang" are the AO control window stops updating images and information, while the main camera imaging window simply moves on and begins acquiring the next frame in the sequence. If I simply hit stop and restart on the DLImaging AO Control panel, the AO works again. After watching for 4 hrs tonight I have not seen the AO control hang at anytime except when the AC4040 image start downloading.

The AC4040 has firmware revision 3 and the Starchaser has firmware revision 6. Any help in chasing down this problem would be appreciated.

Greg

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Greg,
    First off, we're sorry to hear you're running into a bit of trouble.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation of what you are experiencing.
    One of my colleagues will have to chime in on Monday when they are back at work.

In the mean time:

1. Can you confirm the version of MaxIm you are running?
    e.g. MaxIm DL Pro 6.26

2. Can you confirm the version of the DL API Drivers?
    Run DL Config Utility and it will likely say it is version 1.9.4.0

3. Check the advanced threading settings
    In MaxIm, Camera Control Window, Camera 1, Options and also Camera 2, Options - what do you have for the Advanced - Threading option? Like this:
    threading.png

4. Logs
    Our experts will likely want some log information.
    In MaxIm, View... Log Window.
    Right Click, turn on Time Stamps.
    This will be helpful for next time you give it a try so we can get a preliminary look at what is going on.

5. MaxIm Settings
    If you could Zip up your MaxIm settings folder and use the [Upload a File] button to the lower right to attach it, we'd appreciate it.
    The settings are usually found somewhere like:
    C:\Users\YOUR_NAME_HERE\Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings

6. Avoiding USB trouble
    Lastly, it might be worth checking your Windows Power Management settings and related information as described here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/

Thanks - we'll go from here.

3. Greg Nelson

Colin:

1. Yes, MaximDL Pro 6.26

2.Driver Version 1.9.4.0

3. Both "Camera Threading on (recommended)" and "Filter wheel threading on (recommended)" are checked

4. Done

5. Attached

6. Thanks, I went through this and several setting needed to be changed for Power Management

Cloudy tonight and travelling Sunday night. I can't test out anything for a few days but I I see any change when I can test I'll post to the thread.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

OK thanks. I'll mention to the development team to have a look.

5. Greg Nelson

Colin,

I caught a few hours of clear sky tonight and gave the AO a try after making the adjustments to Windows power management settings. the AO DID NOT hang up on image downloads. I have tried a few different AO and camera exposure settings and it appears we may have found the issue. Skies are forecast clear for the rest of the week so I will do some longer term tests starting tomorrow night to make sure we have eliminated the problem.

Greg

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok let us know what you find.

7. Greg Nelson

Colin,

Unfortunately, I saw the AO hanging issues again tonight. I noticed that if the AO is tracking and I begin an Autosave session, the AO immediately hangs. If stop and restart the AO, and it will track for 1-3 main camera frames before hanging again. When I switched to guiding, I had no issues with the guider hanging.

I went through and verified that the USB power management setting were still correct in Windows. I don't understand why things seemed to work the previous night, and not tonight.

Let me know what additional information you may need.

Greg

8. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Greg, would you be willing to let me log in via TeamViewer and try to troubleshoot? I have a beta version of the driver that may help resolve this.

9. Greg Nelson

Absolutely. Do we need to be imaging or can we do this during the day?