Resolved Self guiding

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Luis barneo, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Luis barneo

Luis barneo Standard User

Yesterday I received the camera from Bill. It works fine now. Thanks for your advices.

Luis Barneo

Colin Haig likes this.
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We're happy to hear the problem is solved. Way to go @Bill ! :)

3. Luis barneo

Colin,
    Thank you for you effort in assisting me with the previous problem of the dual sensor camera that was repaired by John, but...
    I return with the guider problem. Until now I could not use the ST8-XE camera in my observatory because the lockdown, the bad weather, … Last night I could be in my observatory. To simplify the operations I used the camera without the wheel filter and AO7. First, I checked that the two sensors with CCDOPs (see picture 1 and 2): they are fine. Second, I wanted to know the efficiency of my mount (Losmandy G11, OTA Celestron 11 F/6)) with autoguider. I read the manual (TheSky User Guide rev 7.1,March 2020). First the calibration (picture 3), and then the autoguider in action. So far so good. The results are not important in this subject. But when I tried to connect de camera to take pictures while autoguiding, it was not possible: “SBIG driver: device not found= 30027” (picture 4). Well, I tried with the three versions that TheSkyX have for my camera: SBIG ST-8/8E/8XE, Imager’s built-in autoguider and SBIG with AO. Without success. Then I checked the drivers with SBIGDriverChecker64 (picture 5). Finally, I used MaximDL and it was possible that the two sensors worked at the same time. I have surfed in order to find a solution.

Could you give me an advice? I think that the problem is not the camera but TheSkyX (TheSkyX Pro Camera ad-on version 10.50.0 Build 11360). Or perhaps Windows 10 that is updating frequently. My version is Windows 10 Home, v. 20H2, compilation 19042.906

Luis Barneo
    Oviedo, Spain

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Luis,
    That version of TheSky X is quite old and has a few bugs. The current version is something like 10.5.0 12966 or newer.
    I suggest you update that.

The 30027 translates to a device not found; this might mean that TSX is still looking for the FW or AO; if it is configured, but not connected, it will fail with this error.

Without the AO and FW, I think you need to set it up with Camera as SBIG ST7/8/9...
    Make sure you do NOT have a filter wheel selected, or you will get that error.
    Connect to the camera
    Then set up the Autoguider - it will need to be configured as the Internal Guide sensor. Set the properties and make sure it is using the Internal sensor.
    Then connect.

I'll see if I can find a few minutes to test this myself.

5. Luis barneo

6. Luis barneo

Colin,

I was browsing and I found that this problem (that it is not possible connect autoguider and camera at the same time) isn’t unfrequently. If I have understood correctly, there is various possible solutions:

- In the settings of the Camera SBIG ST-8/8E/8XE, choose interfase USB2 or USB3 instead of USB. But, do the same in Autoguider or to keep USB?

- Choose SBIG Imager’s built-in autoguider in Autoguider, and SBIG ST-8/8E/8XE in Camera.

I will come back to my observatory the next week to check these solutions. Do you have other explanations? Thanks for your attention.

Luis

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

No.
    The correct solution is
    Camera = SBIG
    Autoguider = Imager's built-in autoguider.

8. Luis barneo

Colin,
    Last night I could be in my observatory. I followed your instructions and all was OK. Thank you very much for your attention and time.

Luis

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Excellent! I am happy for you.