Resolved STXL 11k Error Codes

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by mike m benjamin, Apr 22, 2021.

1. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

I just picked up a used STXL 11k with a FW8G-STXL FW. Maxlm Dl ( 6.26) gives me error codes 6 and 17. The filter wheel will not connect. I am using SBIG universal for both camera and FW and standard for setup filter.
    I checked my drivers they are current(firmware ver 2.54) When using CCDOPS ( version 5.66) I can connect to the FW and exercise it no problem but when I try to take an image I get shutter errors and I can see the shutter acting crazy, going left and right and stopping halfway. Does this sound like a repair job is needed?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Mike,
    There's a couple of possibilities, if this is a new install/updated drivers.

1. SBIG Driver release
    If this is a new install, does your SBIG Driver Checker say this:
    sbig_driver_checker.png

Specifically,
    sbigudrv.dll 4.99 Build 7 02-11-19

If it says 5.0.1.0, 04-12-21, then I can send you an update to 5.0.2.0. Let me know ASAP.

With 5.0, we're adding support for the new filter wheels:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/product/sbig-afw-filter-wheels/
    We're going to release 5.0.2.0 to the world in next few days.
    We've had 3 reports of weird FW behaviour, but no shutter issues with 5.0.1.0

You could also Remove the drivers, uninstall, then reinstall the 4.9.9 version by installing an older (pre April) copy of the driver checker, and say NO when it asks to connect to the Internet.
    Then it will install the local copy.

2. Hardware failure
    Was the camera shipped to you with the filter wheel attached? Or did you assemble yourself?
    A possibility might be a screw or something from the FW side of the case is hitting the shutter.
    You could power it all off, disconnect the FW, and have a look inside.

3. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

Colin, it does say this. Can you send the updated driver please. The FW was installed with the camera when it arrived today, I don't see or hear anything loose.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

PM sent.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If anyone else reads this thread, we'll have 5.0.2 out soon. Mike's issue was an incompatibility between 5.0.1 and the FW for the STXL that we've resolved.