Native NINA Support for Dual Channel

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by George Hilios, May 12, 2021.

1. George Hilios

George Hilios Standard User

Hi, I'm a major contributor to NINA and would like to introduce native (ie, not ASCOM) support for the latest generation of SBIG cameras. In particular, I'd like to add first-class support for reading both channels from Aluma CMOS so that both could be saved as part of a standard sequence.

Is there interest in this? Would SBIG or someone be able to loan me a device (even a defective one, provided the SDK would otherwise work with it) so I can do the work?

2. George Hilios

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What do you mean by "dual channel support"?

4. George Hilios

If I understand correctly, these cameras support simultaneous data readout at high and low gain for HDR images. Rather than requiring users to use MaximDL to produce HDR images, I'd like to equip NINA to download both images and save them side by side so users can calibrate and integrate them separately, and then HDR combine during post processing.

Am I understanding this properly?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ah. We have a rather clever solution for that one - we make an image that's 2X the normal height. The high gain image is in the top half, and the low gain image is in the bottom half. That allows you to use a mostly normal image handling pipeline.

We do have a software camera simulator that we've used for in-house testing, though I'm not sure of its current status. Perhaps @Brian Brown can update us on that?

6. George Hilios

Oh that's interesting. Do you do this via the ASCOM driver? If that's the case, I anticipate issues doing things such as plate solving since the application would have to know to only look at one half of the image. Additionally, for NINA we try to have native drivers for as many camera manufacturers as possible, since the ASCOM interface results in longer download times.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, I believe the ASCOM driver does the same thing. It has access to all the same readout modes.

I haven't had a chance yet to evaluate the ASCOM driver in field operation. Parts shortages have meant I've been running an STC-7 for a while in my dome. Now that we're getting more availability again I'm planning to get an Aluma AC4040 in my dome. So I'll have a change to better evaluate both the native and ASCOM drivers.

I did have the prototype AC4040 camera in my dome for a short while. When acquiring HDR images I'd simply switch to the High Gain readout mode (single channel) when taking pointing images (MaxIm DL can do that automatically). That way I could do an astrometric solve without having the double-height image issue.

8. George Hilios

That would kind of work as-is - you can set a different readout mode for "Snapshots" (which are used for platesolving, focusing, etc) than for sequence images. However, NINA monitors images as they are taken to determine if autofocus is required, or if a recentering needs to take place. The double images could pose a problem there.

Anyways, I'd like to make myself available to implement a native experience in NINA for your latest generation of cameras, if/when you're able to make something available. Perhaps this may open up another segment of customers who would be interested in these cameras but don't want to switch to MaximDL. I am an example of one such person, as I intend to buy one down the road after I acquire a remote dark sky location.