Resolved SBIG 16803 - image train rigidity

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Niall MacNeill, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

For what Cooler setpoint? -35C ?

2. Niall MacNeill

Niall MacNeill Standard User

No -20C, sorry I should have indicated that. I will clearly need the liquid cooling option to get below -20C. Thanks for letting me know that its arrival is imminent. I appreciate the support in getting to this point.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, that fan isn't moving enough air.
    Let us know how it goes with the water kit.

4. Niall MacNeill

Hi Colin,

I am not sure if you've heard from my supplier, but the pump you sent me is 110V. We use 240V in Australia. The pump itself had a tag saying 110V/ 60Hz, but the box said 110-240V, 50/60HZ. I had my electrician over for another job, so I asked him about what he thought about whether the motor could indeed be configured to accept either voltage and he said he doubted it. Anyway he decided that it was OK to change the plug and try it on the basis that it was going in the trash if it wouldn't work on 240V either way. Clearly I was never going to be sending it back to you. It ran for about 2 minutes before it burned out.
    If I had known it was just a submersible pond pump, I would have suggested that you give me the specs and I just buy an equivalent pump at the local hardware store.

I take it I need to get a reservoir with sufficient volume such that the submersible pump can sit into it and pump it around the camera. I presume a heat exchanger is not needed because the excess heat is lost from the tubing and tank to the environment?

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The pump we purchased from our supplier was supposed to be settable for either voltage. We were clearly ripped off by the supplier, and they have gone out of business.
    We have been in discussion with Don at Bintel.
    A typical bucket is good enough for a reservoir. The idea is just to get the heat out, not use cold cold water that will chill the body below the dew point.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We shipped a 12V DC powered pump to Bintel on Friday. No chance of getting the voltage wrong on that one. Just don't plug it into the wall...

7. Niall MacNeill

Hi Colin, Doug,

I received the 12V pump. Thanks for that. I'll be sure not to plug it into the mains :-D

I have 12V power at the pier and multiple outlets. Capable of a 4 or 5m lift. That's impressive. The flow rate is specified at 600L/h compared to 1500L/h on the previous version. I think that will be more than adequate. Please confirm.

I have been producing images with the camera at Prime Focus with my C14, with perfect stars since I went across to the Noctua Fan. The Eccentricities I measured on last nights run were 0.35.

However with the external temperature at 15C the cooler was drawing 48% power, so I will like need the water cooling in summer.

Regards,

Niall

MASTERSTACK_Red Filter.jpg

Colin Haig and Doug like this.
  8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The flow rate should be more than adequate.

That's a gorgeous image. Great work!

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Stunning! Beautiful image, Niall.

10. blackdragon72

blackdragon72 Standard User

Replaced my 16803 , tested and got -45C cooling capability.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Out of curiousity, what's the model/part number of the fan you substituted?
    Can you give us a photo? and of the old fan?
    Usually the fans we use are excellent, although there is always a small amount of vibration from any fan.

12. blackdragon72

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  13. blackdragon72

Of course, the new fan has less air flow.

14. blackdragon72

15. blackdragon72

My observation is that the vibration is mostly absorbed by camera body when the fan is mounted, but you can still feel it. So it may or may not be an issue, but given how noisy (thus the vibration) the fan itself is, I believe it will cause issue sooner or later.

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What scope and focuser/rotator did you have it mounted to?

17. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Vibration is usually only an issue for image quality if it's near the mechanical resonance of the telescope/mount assembly. Given the huge variety of equipment out there that can be a matter of luck.

18. blackdragon72

That is probably be true, but I think the design should always be considerate, rather than hoping it wont show up.
    I wish there will be more product like STL11000 - light, compact, quiet yet very powerful.

19. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The STX/STXL has a vibration damper for the fan. Nevertheless, in order to achieve a certain delta-T capability for a large sensor, there has to be a certain minimum airflow. The 16803 is physically MUCH larger than the 11002 and requires substantially more cooler power.

20. blackdragon72

Does STXL16200 have same design as STX16803?

I replaced with exactly the same fan, but fan stops spinning a few seconds after cooling starts. It works fine on 16803.
    I only connected power and ground, not tachometer signal.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021