Resolved Power Cables for STC-7?

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Oscar Echeverri, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Oscar Echeverri

Oscar Echeverri Cyanogen Customer

My mount is able to power accessories, and has 5.5mmx2.1mm barrel connectors built into the dovetail saddle.

Is there anywhere where I might be able to source such a power cable? Looking in the online store, only cigarette lighter plugs or battery clip cables are available.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We don't make such a cable; however, the connections and recommended mating connector are documented in the user manual. This allows anyone, or any company, to make a suitable cable.

3. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Oscar.
    Just a note to add to Doug’s reply.

Before connecting any high power device, such as a cooled camera, to the mount’s built-in aux power outlets on the saddle plate check the mounts technical specification that it is able to support the high current that your SC7 camera will draw.

I believe the SC7 draws 4 amps @ 12V DC.

You don’t say which mount you have and many mounts on the market are limited to a much lower current than that, there are several mounts still available today that would be seriously damaged if a high power device were to be plugged into the aux output sockets.

I’m sure you would have checked this already but could not let this forum post slip by without mentioning the above…..

William.

4. Oscar Echeverri

Thanks William -- that was going to be my next question.
    I'm using an iOptron CEM70, it has 2 ports that power from the mount's main power and supply a maximum of 3A, but it also has an additional port that will draw from a separate power supply upto 5A, so I should be fine using the additional port.

@Doug are you able to confirm the peak current draw of the STC-7?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

6. Oscar Echeverri

Gahh thanks for the reminder to RTFM :) Apologies for not consulting the document first.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Oscar - I had another customer with a different iOptron mount, and we determined the INPUT power jack to the mount couldn't handle one of our larger cameras. eg it was only rated for about 4A, and split to both the motors and control boards, as well as 2 of the 5.5 x 2.1mm jacks. You might want to double check that. The STC-7 is less power hungry than a fully-configured Aluma with all the toys.

8. Oscar Echeverri

Thanks Colin -- yes the CEM70 has one set of power outputs that are split with the mount's motors. Those outputs are rated to provided 3A max combined.

It also has a separate output connector that is wired directly to a dedicated input connector where you can plugin whatever power supply you like. I'll plug a 5A 12VDC supply to feed the dedicated output that will be used solely by the camera.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok. Just make sure you have a 5A fuse in line between the power supply and the input to the mount; the correct polarity; and that you don't exceed the ratings on the mount's connectors.