Conflict between STL and ST-i cameras

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Tim Brothers, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Tim Brothers

Tim Brothers Cyanogen Customer

I've not had this problem before, but I'm now having an issue with our STL-1001e and our ST-i color guiding camera. If both are plugged in at same time, I can't connect to either. If I disconnect one, I can connect to that one. Running on Windows 7 machine, SBIG drivers are up to date, SkyX is mostly up to date build 12XXX.

Thanks, Tim

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you confirm:
    - running SBIG Driver Checker 4.05, and that is shows sbigudrv.dll 4.99 build 7 ?
    - TheSky X 32-bit, not 64-bit ?
    - that things work when you try CCDOps 5.66 ?
    - and lastly, did this just suddenly start happening, and if so, what changed?

3. Tim Brothers

I'm getting driver v 5.0.2.0 after an update this AM. Prior to that, it was a couple years old, v4.9X - same result either way.
    Sky 32.
    Maxim different issue - it says there's a problem with the filter wheel. I then tried filter wheel in SkyX - no problem. Maxim is v6.16

The system has been off since Covid started, so 18 months? Probably hasn't been used in 20-24 months. I can try installing CCDOps.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, this is multi-part.

1. MaxIm bug
    Since MaxIm is 6.16, it has a bug in there regarding how it handles filter wheels - that showed
    We introduced 5.0.2.0 of sbigudrv.dll to support dual (stacked) filter wheels on the STX series cameras.
    This inadvertently made a filter-wheel and shutter related bug in 6.16 show up.
    So, reverting to 4.99 build 7 of sbigudrv will alleviate that.
    OR, better yet, you may wish to get current on MaxIm - version 6.28 is current, and 6.29 is in development.
    Inside MaxIm, Help... Check for Updates will show you the latest.

2. Sbigudrv 4.99 build 7
    How to revert:

Software solution:
    1. Disconnect USB from camera(s) and power off camera(s).
    2. SBIG Driver Checker - [Remove] drivers.
    3. From control panel, Apps, uninstall all copies of SBIG Driver Checker. Having multiple versions can cause problems. So remove any duplicates.

4. From the explorer, delete this folder and everything underneath:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SBIG\Driver Checker 64

5. Install SBIG Driver Checker 4.05 from 2019. I have attached below.
    6. Click [Update]
    7. When it asks to check the internet for an update. Click "No". THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU MAY EXPECT.
    The driver checker will use the local copy of the drivers that came with it when installed.
    This includes sbigudrv.dll version 4.99 build 7 which is essential for ST- and STL- cameras when used with old programs; also we’ve found sometimes it impacts the STXL as well.
    Version 5.0.2.0 is not compatible with some combinations of old hardware and old programs it was intended to add dual filter wheel support to the STX.

8. Once this is complete, finish up and hit Done to exit the driver checker.
    9. Plug in the camera USB and turn on the AC power.
    Windows will then find the camera, install the drivers, and initialize it. Some cameras will go through 2 cycles of this so you may hear the windows boop-beep; beep-boop more than once.
    10. If you are using MaxIm, with SBIG drivers, you should now see the camera type listed in the interfaces. Do not use Parallel or Serial - not supported.
    Done!

Then try again.

3. The Sky X
    The current version is TheSky Version 10.5.0 Build 13166
    I havent tried that with an ST-series camera in a while.
    It may have its own copy of sbigudrv.dll somewhere in their file system.
    For example, on my system, there is a 64-bit version in here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Software Bisque\TheSkyX Professional Edition\TheSky64
    I don't know if they package up the standard 32-bit one as well.

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

One other thing... avoid connecting the main camera and autoguider through the same USB hub. Sometimes it's just too much traffic for the hub and you can't talk to both of them at the same time. (This once happened in my own observatory, so I've seen it first hand.)

6. Tim Brothers

Colin - thanks so much for the detailed response. I have it working now. I forgot to try updating Maxim. Then it worked there. Went back to SkyX and it works there too. I did get the error to pop up one more time, gave it a second, then it worked fine in SkyX. I'll try rolling back the driver next.

Next problem is I'm getting a command not supported when I try to Pulse Guide in SkyX. I have a feeling this is a SiTech driver issue, but Dan should be able to confirm this. I've reached out to him today.

Doug - I'm seeing this more and more. I'm wondering if the pixel count and the fps of some of these newer cameras are playing a role. On this system, I've always had one of these Icron extenders and just the 2 SBIGs and the Optec Perseus. I did recently come up against the 5 Hub limit in Windows 10 on a different system. Didn't realize that hubs with > 4 ports are often split into 2 hubs internally. So a 10port USB3 could be 2-3 hubs as far as Windows is concerned. Then adding a ZWO USB3 camera that has a hub internally puts me over the limit. Pretty sure USB hubs are 90% of all problems in an observatory - still!
    Tim

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad to hear it.
    Let us know if you learn something new, so we can help the next person.

Any chance you are using Tpoint?
    eg The ASCOM2X Telescope Adapter for The Sky ---> TheSky X + TPoint ---> SiTech ASCOM driver?
    If so, it might be a setting in the ASCOM2X Telescope Adapter properties preventing pulse guide.
    ascom2xguiding.png
    Verify if Pulse Guide is enabled.

Yep, USB is the bane of most observatories.
    Another set of handy tips related to USB:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/