Part for FW8-8300

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Ch Gillespie, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Ch Gillespie

Ch Gillespie Cyanogen Customer

How to order part for:
    8-position Filter Wheel FW8-8300 (s/n FWF19021)

Need replacement for small expanding washer that fits under screw in the center holder that attaches the filter carousel to the back plate . The replacement washer is dark in color while the other two washers are bright. Thanks...

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm not sure which part you are referring to. Do you mean the slightly conical washer, aka the Belleville washer? Or do you mean the small diameter shim washer? Can you identify it from this photo:

Image1.jpg

3. Ch Gillespie

Thanks Doug. Unfortunately, its none of the parts in the photo. Maybe it's part of the back plate. The broken piece is the same black color as the plate. It must be what the small tapered screw fastens against to hold the center spindle (In your photo) onto the back plate. Looks like I need a replacement back plate. How do I order that? Price, etc.? Thanks... Charlie

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Can you upload a close-up photo of the broken piece?

5. Ch Gillespie

Photo of the broken piece and the hole in the back plate where the wheel spindle attaches are attached. The broken piece is about 5-7 mm wide. This problem occurred because I removed the image train to clean two dust bunnies off the STF-8300 and extend the pick-off mirror in the SC-2. And as long as things were off, might as well check/blow off dust on the individual filters on the FW8-8300. (I live in west Texas, a VERY dusty area.) It was when reattaching the filter wheel that I obviously did not have the wheel spindle fully inserted into the spindle hole in the back plate. While installing the wheel's three small screws into the spindle, I noticed the wheel 'jumped' a small amount. I then realized I had boo booed big time. Thanks for your help. I do want to get this fixed. Charlie

Attached Files:

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ouch, looks like the threads are stripped out.

I recommend you send it to Bill at SBIG Service & Repair, bill@sbig.com.

If you want to do the repair yourself, understand that we can't warranty the repairs!

You'll have to confirm it's the right part - the back mounting plate that attaches to the camera. That is SBIG part number 10075 and the cost to replace is $165 + shipping. If you would like to purchase one, buy one of these "special order items":

https://diffractionlimited.com/product/special-order/

Put in the Order Notes (under the Shipping Address section) that you are actually ordering SBIG #10075 for $165 plus shipping. Your card won't be charged until we process the order, at which point the price will be adjusted accordingly.

Again be aware that we can't warranty repair work unless it is done by ourselves or our authorized service representative at SBIG Service and Repair.

7. Ch Gillespie

Doug, I went ahead and ordered the part fully understanding about the lack of warranty. I have dealt with Bill for SBIG repairs several times in the past years. No problem at all with him, I just feel that I can do this repair. The whole problem this time with the break was just my failure to watch as close as I should. That won't happen again. As usual, thanks for your help with this. Matter closed.