Resolved "ERROR: camera not initialized (USB)"

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Ian H., May 9, 2021.

1. Brian Brown

Brian Brown Standard User

Another thought: If the Drive was not properly calibrated and the problem image required a bump then that could cause some sudden and unexpected tracking behavior.

- Brian

2. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

And attaching the log in case it's of use.
    So

Sorry Brian - - I should have explained that image: Test 2-0773L.fit is a single unguided 50 second exposure - - neither the SC-2 or the AO-8A were engaged for that one. I just included it for comparison to the other image, made while the AO-8A was engaged.

Attached Files:

3. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

And yes, let's schedule something - - tomorrow and Monday don't really work for me, but I'll try to accommodate anything on any other day - - except for between 12 and 1:30 or so, when I have regular standing meetings. Please let me know if I need to set up everything including the mount, or just the connection to the three components.

4. Brian Brown

We can try for something next week then. Tuesday or later works for me, though I am generally unavailable on Friday evenings for remote sessions. My timezone is EDT (UTC-4:00).

- Brian

5. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

Tuesday should work. I can do anytime after 5 pm, or I might be able to do something between 2 and 5. And it looks like we're in the same time zone. (I'm near Toronto.)

6. Brian Brown

Alright I'll schedule it for Tuesday, assuming good weather. We can start whenever it gets dark enough to field test, probably around 9 pm.

- Brian.

7. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

Looks like the weather will co-operate tonight, at least until 11:00 or so, which should give us enough time. I will try to set up for 8:00, so we can begin as soon as it's dark. And I tried again last night, but no joy. Neither the SC2 nor the AO-8A could locate stars - - I thought maybe it was a focus issue, but it had been correctly focused the last time I tested it. Anyway it didn't work. And I was imaging the Pleiades, so there were tons of stars to choose from.

Let me know how we'll communicate, whether through this chat or phone call, etc..

8. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

FYI for anyone else following this thread (I DM'd Brian already):

Confirmed - - I used GPUSB with the SC-2 and it worked fine. Tracked really well on both axes. So the issue must be specific to the 'guider relay' protocols.

9. Brian Brown

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the feedback. I think this will help with the investigation.

-Brian

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Today we determined that the Losmandy Gemini 2 mount needs a straight-through cable from our SBIG StarChaser SC-2 guider.
    The cable that comes with the guider has the standard "flipped" wiring, and so does not work.
    We also learned that in MaxIm's Guider Move tab, it helps to flip the X axis direction.
    Next, for guider or drive calibration, Ian will use a longer time, as the TV101NP-IS has a wide field of view, so 30seconds to perhaps a minute may be needed to get enough star movement by the guider input.
    He will also check the guider rate in the Losmandy hand controller.

11. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

So, some new developments - - and thanks again Colin for the site visit - - that's really going the extra mile (or 50-ish):

1. The guiding speed was listed as 5 (x 10); I dropped it down to 3.
    2. The night of this visit things went well - - even though it 'failed' calibration, it worked reasonably well for a couple of hours (oblong shaped stars, but not the level of problem like before - - the staccato imaging). See attached (image 076) - - note that this was only a 100 second exposure; at 400 seconds, the shape of stars was about the same. When I dropped it down to 60 second exposures, it improved considerably(070). Then started acting up (same issues). So I disengaged the AO unit, connected through GPUSB, and had a great night of imaging just using the SC2 and STC 7. See 073 for comparison - - 400 seconds using GPUSB - - better than 100 using AO.
    3. The next night, I went out, extended the calibration time to 30 seconds. Calibration still failed, but it worked great - at 400 seconds, the AO performance was just as good as the GPUSB the night before (0776). Then it failed again - - the staccato effect. (0782), so I went back to GPUSB, all good.
    4. Then last night, nothing worked. Not the AO, not the SC 2 using either guider relays or GPUSB. Calibration failed everytime, under all circumstances, and lost it's tracking star immediately. All I could do was pack everything up. Attached are the images referenced, and the logs for the sessions I've had since Colin's visit. (I've hit the file limit - - I'll attach the last log in the next post.

Attached Files:

12. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

Last log attached. I'll open up the calibration time to 60 seconds next time, but I'm pretty sure that won't help. The unit seemed to lose the initial star during calibration - - the red line would show up where there was no star (if you know what I mean - - see the capture). I verified the pick off mirror was secure, no issues with it being loose or anything.

By the way - - the last few sessions were on a different mount - - a Losmandy GM8 - - but the first two sessions with it, it behaved exactly the same way as it did with my G11, so I believe whatever works for one will work for the other. And the good photos attached in the previous post were with the GM8, so I don't see last nights issues being related to the mount.

After my next set of tests, with the calibration time extended, I'm going to remove the SC2 and AO 8A, and just use the STC 7 with the $400 autoguider I purchased for DSLR work. If it doesn't work next time, I think we're at the point where I need to send these two units back for you guys to figure it out; I've already invested 6 months trying to get these things to work as advertised, I've lost a lot of clear nights fiddling with this equipment, and it boils down to this: these two units do not behave the same way twice. That doesn't make sense. I'm sure I've made some user errors, but most of them are pretty obvious - - I've never talked about my issues with image processing because I know they're not hardware or software issues, they're just part of the expected learning curve, and I can tell because changes in my methodology yield better and better results. But these units don't behave in repeatable ways, applying the same methods on two occasions frequently yields two different results - - which means something cannot be working correctly.

Attached Files:

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ian -quick question - did you try guiding with AO turned OFF ?

14. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

I believe I tried both ways. In the past, I've just bypassed the AO by using the guide tab of the camera connect dialog box, other times, I disconnected everything then reconnect switching the AO off when configuring. In past sessions, both methods have worked, in this case, neither did.

15. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

Sorry - - I should clarify: last night I only had the SC 2 connected - - I had physically removed the AO. All other sessions detailed here started with the AO attached and engaged. What was really alarming about last night's session was that this was the first time I was unable to get the SC2 to work using guider relays or GPUSB; using guider relays, it would usually drift on one axis until it lost the guide star. GPUSB circumvented this problem. But last night, no method worked - - I was never able to successfully track at all, to even get to the point that it would drift.

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We're having an internal discussion on this today - a colleague will be in touch.

17. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Ian,

I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been having. I've been asked to take a look and see if there's anything I can do to help.
    Before we do anything else, is it an option to change your "Camera Control" > "Guide Tab" > "Settings" > "Autoguider Output" > "Control Via" setting from your relays to using "ASCOM" or "Telescope" and removing the pulse guide interface from the equation entirely? (I have a hypothesis about what might be happening)

upload_2021-11-10_15-45-25.png

18. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

Hi Adam:

Welcome to the party. I will do that when I set up this evening - - but I should tell you I've already connected through ASCOM once before - - and the SC2 worked fine, but I'm told the AO-8A does not have an ASCOM interface. I have not connected using the "Telescope" setting yet though - - I'll try both settings tonight and let you know.

19. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

So the way the system works is the AO state machine in the DLImaging plugin sends a message to MaxIm DL that the mount needs to be bumped, and MaxIm DL uses the Control Via mechanism to bump the mount—if you have it set to ASCOM, it'll use a direct ASCOM connection to the telescope to tell the scope to move. If you set it to Telescope, it'll go through our internal machinery in the observatory control subsystem. If it's set to "Main/Guider Relay" it'll look up the appropriate camera, and send a Pulse Guide command via the camera's plugin, which then interfaces with the camera's pulse guide mechanisms. The goal here is to sidestep that process of re-sending the message through MaxIm DL's Camera control interface, which may be confused about which camera to send a pulse guide command to.

Edit: So to summarize, the "ASCOM" in this instance is the ASCOM driver for your telescope, not the AO-8A. You should be able to control the guiders via ASCOM direct and use AO simultaneously.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  20. Ian H.

Ian H. Cyanogen Customer

So if I understand you correctly, when I connected through ASCOM before, it was the AO unit issuing commands to the mount via that connection?
    I just realized, this is further complicated because my main mount is acting up (unrelated issues - - easily distinguished from what's happening with the autoguider), and the other mount that I'm using (a 20 year old Losmandy GM 8 without Gemini) does not have an ASCOM connection. Other than that, it seems to behave the same way with the SC2 as the G11 does.
    Will the "telescope" setting work in this scenario? This mount is completely manual - - no catalog of any kind, just an autoguider / hand controller port.