Resolved Power use of STX 16803 camera

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Dale Mais, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Dale Mais

Dale Mais Cyanogen Customer

I want to run the power cable of my STX16803 camera through my Paramount ME using the Power in/Power out conduit through the mount. The power limits for this through the mount conduit is up to 20 volts DC 7.5 amps.
    I know the power output of the camera power supply is 12 volts and up to 10 amps. How many amps does the camera actually draw when used? Does anybody know? The cable set you can purchase for this purpose from Software Bisque says it works with the STX but wanted to check with users who might actually know.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We strongly recommend running the SBIG DC extension cable through the mount.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The full load of the STX with cooler maxxed out, filter wheel moving, STX guider running and AO powered up can exceed the current limitations of the Paramount internal wiring. This can cause overheating of the wiring.
    The LEDs on the camera may indicate low voltage - and low voltage will cause erratic operation.

Several folks I know don't both running the DC extension through the mount, and keep it external.