Resolved ST2000-XM Power Cable

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Mike Hambrick, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I have been using the original GlobTek 110 VAC power adapter that came with my ST2000 camera ever since I have owned it. I would like to investigate the possibility of running this camera directly off of a 12V DC power supply instead of having to use the power adapter.

According to the label on the GlobTek power supply, it takes 100 - 240 VAC input and has multiple output voltages; +5V @ 5A, +12V @ 1.5A, and -12V @0.5A

Assuming that I can find the appropriate DC converters, is it possible that I could make my own power cable?

I would need to be able to find a power jack plug. Do you know where I might be able to find such a plug? Is there a possibility that Bill Lynch has an old plug from an inoperable power supply?

The appendix in the manual describes the power jack pins as follows: Note that the plug actually has only 5 pins. The shell is being used as the 6th "pin" for the ground.
    upload_2021-12-1_8-53-4.png

Mike

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Mike Hambrick

Thanks Doug

I think I should be able to do this, but I need to be careful. The last time I tried something like this I ended up sending the camera in to Bill Lynch.

Mike

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Absolutely be super careful. None of the parts used to make this camera are available now, so if you blow the main board it is extremely unlikely that Bill will be able to fix it again.

I'd recommend using a voltmeter to systematically check the voltage on every pin, comparing side-by-side with the original power supply. The reason I recommend this is the not-insignificant risk of getting everything mirror reversed!

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Another, less risky option is to get a good quality 12V to 120VAC power inverter, preferably a sine wave inverter. It would be a little less efficient but without the possibility of getting the DC voltages wrong on the camera connector.

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

A suitable replacement supply for the old ST cameras is the GP50A13D-R1B, Digi-Key part # 1866-1832-ND.

-Bill

7. JoeGafford

JoeGafford Cyanogen Customer

Be wary of the Digi-Key Mean Well supply mentioned by Bill. The voltage pin-out assignments of the supplied DIN connector is different than the SBIG table above. You'll have to rewire that connector.

Joe

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

When wiring up cables or checking out power supplies, it's always a good idea to compare original to replacement.
    Sometimes the pin numbers of the various SBIG cameras or power packs or replacement items don't match.
    Sometimes the pin numbering uses a different convention or sequence.
    So test twice before you dare power it up!

9. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I bought a few of those supplies and they worked fine. The correct voltages are on the correct pins.

-Bill

10. Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips Cyanogen Customer

I bought one of these from Bill for my ST-10xme when the original died. I have since purchased another online. I have been using it for about one year and it is working fine.
    Larry

11. Mike Hambrick

Thanks for the input from everyone. I like the idea of a DC to AC inverter. That is probably the safest route.

Of course, as long as I have access to a 110 VAC power source, I will continue to use the OEM power supply. Out of curiosity, what will cause one of these power supplies to go bad ? Mine is still working fine, but I have read more than a few cases where people had to replace theirs (reference Larry's comment above).

Mike

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Just age and usage. Nothing lasts forever. Electrolytic capacitors can dry out, metal can slowly migrate due to electrical currents flowing through them, heat can gradually damage materials, etc.

13. JoeGafford

JoeGafford Cyanogen Customer

I also have 12v batteries to inverter setup due to the batteries are 10' from the scope mounts as both of these mounts are low to the ground. As with my 18", another 10' to the top of my scope as the power supply block acts as an upper counterweight. 120v AC has 1/10th the voltage resistance losses as a 12v DC system would have. This inverter supplies the laptop as well. Both of my mounts are on a separate battery for isolation.