Resolved Filter Wheel not responding with MaxIm DL 6.16

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by David Holko, Dec 25, 2021.

1. David Holko

David Holko Cyanogen Customer

My FW7 filter wheel will not respond in Maxium DL when run on a ASUS mini computer with windows 10, but on the same computer it works just fine with Nebulosity 3.0 or CCDOPTS. I reinstalled a clean version of Windows 10 to no avail. I am ready to throw the ASUS away. I have two HP laptops both I7's and a Dell laptop no problems like this has ever cropped up. This just started when I tried playing with this ASUS. Other wise I have been running this STF-8300 and the filter wheel for like 5 years.

2. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

David.

In Maxim, from the Camera Control window, with the camera and FW physically connected and powered up but not yet “Connected” in the Camera Control Window, go to the camera options tab, at the bottom of the options tab under “Advanced” there are two selectable options to “Access Camera” and “Access Filter Wheel” using “Separate threads”.

Whatever your current selections are, selected or not, set both Camera and FW options identically (both camera and FW to use separate threads or both to not use separate threads) and try connecting to the filter wheel with both those options selected and not selected.

Note that when the camera is “Connected” in the Camera Control window those threading options are “greyed out” and you can’t change them, only before the “Connecting” in the Camera Control window can those options be altered.

Besides the above, did you install the latest SBIG driver checker from the Diffraction Limited web site or are you running an old version from an archive or CD?
    If running an old version of the driver checker, uninstall the old driver checker and get the latest version applicable for your STF8300 camera from the discontinued models archive, downloads section, here:

https://diffractionlimited.com/product/stf-8300/

Lastly, are you connecting to the camera and FW through an extension USB hub? If so, try connecting with short USB cables directly to the computer, bypassing the hub, is the FW detected with no hub?
    If the new computer has USB3 ports only try the opposite and temporarily fit a USB2 hub between the computer and the FW, rarely, some new USB3 hardware is known to have connection problems with older USB2 devices and installing a USB2 hub temporarily between computer and FW may show a different behaviour.

If nothing above helps then post back and await an official response from the Diffraction Limited staff ASAP after the Christmas - New Year holidays.

HTH

William.

3. David Holko

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

David, what versions of everything are you running?
    e.g. SBIG Driver Checker 4.05, with SBIGUDrv.dll version 4.99 build 7 (or 5.0.2 build 1)?
    sbig_driver_checker_405_499.png

In MaxIm, Help.... About
    e.g. MaxIm DL Pro 6.29

Camera Control Window - Have you set the filter wheel to SBIG Universal, and set the type of filter wheel to Standard ? (*not* CFW-8) like this:
    sbig_camera_fw.png

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Your title says 6.16 of MaxIm, which is long out of support.
    If you have Sbigudrv 5.0.2 (which adds facilities for new large filter wheels), this will may fail with 6.16, due to that version having a limitation.

To fix this:
    BEST SOLUTION:
    Update to the current release of MaxIm DL Pro.
    Help.. Check for Updates.
    That's the best route - the current 6.29 is compatible with 5.02.

HACK SOLUTION:
    If you're tight on cash right now, and didn't keep up with support for updates, here is a workaround for getting it running:
    Disconnect the camera USB.
    Launch SBIG Driver Checker.
    Hit REMOVE to remove all the drivers.
    Uninstall the program.
    Reboot the PC.
    Download and install the attached version of SBIG Driver Checker.
    Run it.
    Install the drivers - BUT when it asks to go to the internet for drivers, say NO (this is critical).
    Then it will use the local copy of 4.99 build 7. Otherwise it will download the latest (5.0.2) and you will have the problem.

Then plug in camera, and do the usual. You should be back in business.

Main thing is really it's best to upgrade so everything is current.

Attached Files:

6. David Holko

The driver checker has the same dates as what you show version 4.99 build 7.
    The filter wheel setup is Universal and Standard.

The point that is missed is that Filter Wheel uses same drivers (because I have not loaded any other drivers) in Nebulosity and CCDOPS and filter wheel works but with Maxium the wheel and camera cycle, wheel rotates, but will not connect. And this is only on the ASUS mini computer not the two hp's or Dell laptop I have, the dell and HP's and run the software just fine filter wheel NO problem.

I just have to ditch the ASUS and live without it.

Appreciate the effort but moving on.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'd suggest checking for a BIOS update, driver updates (eg Intel or AMD depending which chipset), and run Windows update a few times. Also, try a quality wall-powered USB 2.0 hub in case there is something funky going on.

You could also request the FREE TRIAL version of MaxIm off our main webpage, and try it out on the Asus to see if it cures it.
    https://diffractionlimited.com/maxim-dl/

8. David Holko

I'm not a computer or software person, but I can't seem to grasp that if the camera and filter wheel work together flawlessly using CCDOPS or Nebulosity 2 or 3, on this given computer (the ASUS) why not with Maxium DL ? No hubs involved.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I haven't missed the point about the Nebulosity and CCDOps working
    My suspicion is either there is a problem with this PC, or with the installation of the software, or a known issue with MaxIm 6.16 is showing up on this new machine.
    Version 6.16 is about 6 years old, and there have been many improvements since.
    We're back at work on Tuesday.
    Perhaps we could do a remote session using TeamViewer to log into the PC with the problem.

10. David Holko

Thanks for the offer. It's a pain to have the setup connected and ready to test run things as I'm sure you know. Right now, for this coming week I am planning to be at my remote site for the pre-new moon sky and the cooperating weather here in Florida. I have been contemplating getting the update for Maxium and I'll probably do that after I get back next week. I really don't need the ASUS machine to work. I'll try again after the update. Overall the STF8300 and FW7 filter wheel working with Maxium Dl have served me well. The STi camera give me more opportunity to get to know Bill than I needed, but Bill is a wonderful technician. I'll be running this rig 'till it bites the dust.

11. David Holko

Decided to do the upgrade to 6.29 now. So I'll be running the new version for the new moon at the remote site. Hope that goes will. Thanks for the nudge.

12. David Holko

Ok, Colin
    So yesterday I upgraded my software to 6.29 and then updated the drivers to the latest (the 5.0.2 version) and everything so far has worked on the ASUS machine. I suspect that the hack you suggested would have worked too, but I was leaning toward getting the upgrade anyway.

Guess I'll put this to bed. Thanks for the great support, and the timely response inspite of the holidays.

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad it worked out! Keep an eye out for 6.30 which will be released sometime in January, 2022.