Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud AO-8A

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Galaxyhunter, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Carl, is there a reason you aren't running 6.29?

2. Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter Cyanogen Customer

After all the problems I was having last March, I just walked away from this hobby, never once powering up my telescope even to do visual. So I didn't know about v6.29.

Terry Lenhardt likes this.
  3. Galaxyhunter

Alright, I downloaded V6.29. Wed night I had a small gap in the clouds so I could test for about 30 min or so. I think we are making a little progress. It does appear that the AO-8A does calibrate.
    But when I go to track, the star zooms right off the screen in roughly two cycles. See Video. In the video, I shown all the tabs so you can see the settings.
    Once we get zoom off the screen issue fixed, I hope I'm ready to go.
    Just an FYI. I had to Horz flip the SC-2 camera so the star would move the same direction as the STC7 camera.

Secondary question. is there any adjustment for the screen stretch in the AO guide window?

4. Galaxyhunter

Does anybody have any ideas on this video & what to do to move forward?

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We've already had a look at your video, and we're working the problem.

6. Galaxyhunter

Well, I put my ST2k & AO-8 back on my scope to test MaximDL v6.29. I basically ran the same test as I did in post #23. Here is the video of this test. The main difference that I see is the calibration for the AO-8 does a four corner
    routine where the AO-8A does a 2 corner.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The AO-8A is supposed to do a 4 corner as well. Have you checked the AO-8A hardware is 100% working in both axes? Use the exercise function.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Also, go get the 6.30 beta, as we added additional debug messages and updated the display to show the motion directions.

9. Galaxyhunter

I'm sorry, I thought I had posted the video of the AO-8A while exercising. I have no clue on how much movement it actually has, but it appears it has quite a bit.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, so the hardware IS behaving - that video shows it moving nicely in both axes.
    Again, go get the 6.30 beta, and have another go at AO Calibration. It should move the star into 4 distinct positions.

11. Galaxyhunter

Is there a link for 6.30 beta? When I checked for updates, it says I'm running the latest version (6.29).

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

13. Galaxyhunter

Good afternoon Mr. Colin, I clicked on the link & it gave me an error, saying "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

15. Galaxyhunter

Alright, Can somebody please explain this? DL config program sees the cameras, But when I try to setup cameras, the spinning wheel just sits there. This is Ver 6.30. This is the first time I had this problem. Is there a way to uninstall the 6.30
    so I can go back to 6.29 to see if that can see the cameras (It did before), or do I have to uninstall everything & start over?

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Just exit DL Config. Then go into MaxIm Camera Setup for DL Config.
    If they are both running, they may be competing for the cameras.

17. Galaxyhunter

That Is how I started out. But all I ever got is the spinning wheel. This is why I opened up the DL config just to see if it actually seen the cameras. A couple of months ago I talked to you on the phone and I said I was willing to send you the camera assembly & my computer so your service / tech department could figure out the problem. You never got back to me with an answer, so that proposal must of gotten rejected.

In light of that, and seeing I spent over 5k on a camera setup that in one year have gotten ZERO use out of, I an officially requesting a full refund on this setup.
    I believe that I have been more that patient trying to get this resolved. You have to ask yourself that if you spent 5k on a OTA and had this much problems, would you be happy???

18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Very sorry for your frustration.

Shipping the computer and equipment here wouldn't make sense.

What would make a lot of sense is to have one of our programmers remote into your computer during an imaging session. It's much easier to figure out what is going on doing it that way.

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We resolved this by updating the camera firmware and setting the options correctly for the cameras.
    STC-7 firmware upgraded to version 7. V2.1.3 DL Imaging Drivers. MaxIm DL Pro 6.30 beta.

MaxIm camera settings:
    Camera 1 - [Setup Camera] Camera Model = DL Imaging - assigned to STC-7. AO is not on this camera, so AO setting = OFF.
    Camera 2 - [Setup Camera] Camera Model = DL Imaging - assigned to SC-2. AO is on this camera, so AO setting = Sensor 1
    Filter wheel 1 - [Setup Filter Wheel] DL Imaging+FW - filter 8 set to "!SHUTTER!" for performing dark frames.
    Camera 1 - [Options] Select [x] Use filter wheel as shutter. Select Filter to use as shutter = !SHUTTER! which is the 8th filter.

20. Galaxyhunter

Well not quite resolved! The adventure continues. I must have the worst luck in the world. Look at this clip.