ASI 120 mini guide camera with MaximDL

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Danny Fowler, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Danny Fowler

Danny Fowler Cyanogen Customer

I'm having nothing but trouble trying to connect this guy camera to Maxim DL. It seems to connect and take a picture but there is nothing there. Just black. I have an S big 2000 camera that works just fine. Been using that for years. Any ideas any thoughts would be most appreciated

2. Peter Bresler

Peter Bresler Cyanogen Customer

Try out the camera with Sharpcap first.

3. Danny Fowler

Yet connection works fine with that and with the software that came with the camera. Like I said I'll connect to Maxim DL it'll take a picture it just dark. And like I said I'm having a problem connecting with my S big camera. Just don't know if I'm not adjusting something correct in Maxim or not. Thanks for responding

4. Peter Bresler

Peter Bresler Cyanogen Customer

Probably a camera setting. Colin will know.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Already answered in your Canon t-100 thread.
    It's really easy to make it work.

6. Danny Fowler

I'll check it out and let you know how it goes. Thnx

7. Danny Fowler

I've already done all you posted. I'm still running MaximDL 507 and this version doesn't have the option of turning off advanced threading. Would that be an issue in this older version?

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No threading in V5, so not relevant.

Your version of MaxIm DL is extremely old. You might want to consider an upgrade. Perhaps try the V6 demo?

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Danny, that version is about 15 years old. I think you registered for the 6.29 demo - did you try that?

10. Danny Fowler

I'm Trying the V6 demo right now. A couple days ago I removed it from my computer because it seemed to interfere with the V 507 version while stacking. I'll reinstall it and try it in the newer version.

11. Danny Fowler

I did try it b4 I removed it but that was b4 I received some additional input from you folks. I'll give it another try with V6 and let you know. Weather here in Missouri is a little touch and go. Spent the last clear days recalibrating my new focus system and guide scope from Primalucelabs when my Feathertouch focuser quit working and the new guide camera. Will be upgrading to V6 soon as I financially recoup from purchasing new hardware. Got a birthday in February so I'll have an excuse then to buy V6 :)

12. Danny Fowler

I reinstalled V6 trial and unchecked the advanced threading and still no luck. I am testing the camera with the ASI software and it shows an image there. Still nothing but black image. I'm again at a loss.

13. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hi Danny.

Any chance you have Simple Auto Dark subtraction enabled in MaxIm camera options for your ASI Mini?
    That would produce a dark image because there is no shutter on the ASI.

Also, when you run the mouse pointer over the image in MaxIm is the ADU readout at the bottom of the MaxIm desktop really all zeros or something higher?

William.

14. Danny Fowler

Well about 10 minutes ago I finally tried Simple Auto Dark because I hadn't tried it yet and now it seems to work. Now I at least get a lightening of the image but no actual picture of what I'm aimed at. I have my guide scope pointed at a distant object down the road always not nothing recognizable in the image. At least I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks for hanging in there with me. Like I said in one of my beginning posts its been years since I've' used my telescope stuff and the rememory comes back slow after 60. Well at least in my case....

15. Danny Fowler

Just Dropped the exposure time down to .oo1 and am getting a ghost of an image. Looks like tonight We have clear skies her and I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Again thanks for your support..

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

You might need to check the screen stretch values.
    View... Screen Stretch Window.
    Adjust the minimum and maximum to show the whole histogram.
    screenstretchminmax.png

17. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Danny.

With most guide-scopes and the ASI eye-piece sized mini cameras if you insert them into the focuser directly you will probably not be able to reach focus, the camera is too-far into the focuser.

You may need to use an extender to pull the camera further back.

You can try this during the day time by pointing the guide scope at a distant object and with the capture program set to continuous mode gradually slide the camera out of the focuser where eventually it reaches focus.

The daytime object should be as far as possible away, at least half a mile (~1Km), otherwise wait for night and try the same while pointed at the moon.

William.

18. Danny Fowler

Colin I will check out the screen stretch. Now I'm trying to get my Canon EOS Rebel T100 working on Maxim. I remember a month ago or so in my T100 thread about not having any drivers that would allow me to use this model camera. Is this correct? If so is there an work arounds?

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

No work around for the T100 that I am aware of. The camera is too new, and not popular for astronomy.

Someone was working on an ASCOM driver for DSLRs however it looks like he stopped working on it about 2 years ago, so that would predate your camera:
    https://github.com/vtorkalo/ASCOM.DSLR

20. Danny Fowler

Okie Dokie Thanks. Might be looking to sell this Canon and find an older one