CCDops shutting down when running camera setup

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Mark Volle, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Mark Volle

Mark Volle Standard User

I brought an older camera and laptop back out of hibernation - Win7 Pro and an ST-8300C
    downloaded new driver updater (64bit) and new CCDops

Ran the updater and updated everything -
    CCDops opens, connects to the camera and even retrieves info from the camera

I can even grab an image or use the focus option but when I run the setup command from the menu, a message box comes up and says that CCDops has quit running - clicking OK on that box closes everything.

This is preventing me from activating the cooling or making any other camera settings.

Any suggestions?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Never heard of that before.

Unfortunately CCDOPS is no longer under active maintenance. All I can suggest is that you make sure everything is up-to-date.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Mark - I've seen this only once before.
    I suspect your PC might be missing a Windows Runtime component that is used in the Setup menu.
    Since Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 two years ago, I don't know if you can still download updates for it.

Windows has an Event Viewer - look under Windows logs - Application and see if you see any errors or warnings. That might explain why the crash in the details.
    Here's an example - in this case, for MaxIm_DL.exe. You'll want to look for one associated with ccdops.exe
    event_viewer_details.png

I've circled the text - if you copy that and paste in your reply, we *might* have an idea what's wrong with computer.

Another option for you: Request a FREE TRIAL of MaxIm DL Pro.
    I expect it will work fine on Windows 7.
    https://diffractionlimited.com/maxim-dl/
    Scroll down to [v] FREE TRIAL, click the [v], fill in the info, and then we'll send you an email with download instructions and a 30 day license.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Here's a list of the files that CCDOps uses. I've highlighted the Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime 10.0 file as an example.
    Check all these files exist on your PC.
    ccdops_runtime.png

5. Moos

Moos Standard User

I am experiencing the exact same issue, with CCDops 5 on a Windows 10 laptop. The program is working fine otherwise, with my ST-402ME CCD. But opening Camera Setup crashes the entire program.

All the windows systems files in Colin's list are installed on my machine. I'll try to see if the event viewer has any information on the crashes.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Is this a new machine? New install? Recently upgraded? If you need help, let us know the specific versions of everything.
    We've only had a couple reports, and in all cases it has been a corrupt PC or a fresh machine.
    Some tips:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/windows-10-tune-up-fixing-pc-issues.8196/

7. Moos

Moos Standard User

Hi Colin, thanks for your super quick reply!

This is on my work laptop, a Windows 10 install (version 21H1, OS build 19043.1110) of less than a year old. The machine itself is probably a few years older. CCDOps (and the latest drivers) are freshly installed (5.66 build 1-NT). I also just tried to replicate this on my personal laptop (also Win 10, about 2 years old, never upgraded or tinkered with) and I get exactly the same result. This makes it seem kind of unlikely that this is some random corruption of the OS, no?

Windows Event Viewer shows two application errors when the crash happens: one connected to mfc100.dll (version: 10.0.40219.325) and the second one to ntdll.dll (version: 10.0.19041.1110). More details in the attached screenshots.

Attached Files:

8. Moos

Moos Standard User

Could it possibly be an issue with the CCD itself, that's causing the Camera Setup crash across multiple computers and installs?

edit: attached a screenshot with CCDOps's camera info, showing driver and firmware.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  9. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hi Moos.

The mfc100.dll and ntdll.dll dynamic link libraries are common Windows components and ntdll.dll in particular shows up in literally thousands of program error reports, unfortunately the ntdll.dll error is usually not the origin of the bug but is invoked as a result of a problem elsewhere.

There are multiple notices across Windows 10 and Windows 11 reporting systems that many recent builds of Windows 10/11 are missing an important set of Visual C++ redistributable components, and which many software packages and hardware drivers rely on. Corporate distributions of Windows and versions of Windows that are distributed as a package with a new computer appear to be affected more than regular Windows when bought separately as a stand-alone OS.

Begin fault elimination by downloading the latest appropriate Visual C++ redistributable components for your system from Microsoft and install them, reboot your PC and test CCDOps again.

Follow the link below to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable download page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

If the problem remains after updating the Visual C++ components the next step is to run Windows built-in test and repair tools DISM and SFC to check that your Windows environment is undamaged or missing important key components..

Open an elevated (administrator) command prompt and at the prompt: C:\WINDOWS\system32> type in and run the DISM command first:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Provided that DISM completes without error, at the prompt: C:\WINDOWS\system32> type in and run the SFC command:

sfc /scannow

If unfamiliar with how to use these basic Windows test and repair tools you can read more in this linked Microsoft document:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Note that the commands must be entered exactly as shown above with a <space> after each term in the string and before the following separator character “/“ , otherwise the commands will not run.

( i.e. sfc<space>/scannow…and….dism<space>/online<space>/cleanup-image<space>/restorehealth).

If you find the linked Microsoft document above rather unclear then a quick web search will turn up many pages describing usage of the DISM and SFC tools in clearer terms but keep to the strings as written above and not any of the variations you might find when browsing web pages. The Microsoft document should be considered the definitive guide to DISM and SFC.

If either DISM or SFC report that they found unrepairable Windows errors you will need to reinstall Windows before you are able to continue fault finding with this CCDOps application error.

If the problem with CCDOps continues after updating the Visual C++ Redistributable components and if both DISM and SFC tests pass ok then you can be more confident that the problem lies outside of your Windows environment.

HTH.

William.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Moos. William's advice is solid.

The two exceptions captured are not in CCDOps itself.
    ntdll.dll exception 0xc0150010 is likely a context switching problem in the Microsoft code.
    mfc100.dll exception 0xc0000005 is a null pointer exception in the Microsoft code.

Are you an Administrator on this computer, or has your IT department locked things down?
    It may be that there is a permissions problem, although I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the OS or runtime components.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Additional ideas:

1. Have you run Windows Update lately? There are a quite a number of recent updates.

2. Disconnect the camera USB. Launch CCDOPs. Camera Setup. Does it give you an error saying no camera, or does it fail?

3. Launch CCDOps. Misc.... Graphics/Comm Setup. Is the Interface set to USB? Quit. Reconnect the camera. Try again.

4. Quit everything. Power off the camera. Boot fresh. Power up the camera. Launch SBIG Driver Checker.
    Firmware tab. Get firmware vesion from camera. Check if is current. If not, update it.