STi guider problem, shutter not opening?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by JoshuaHufford, Mar 3, 2022.

1. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

Last night all of a sudden I could not get a single star on my guide camera despite being pointed at what I know was a star, the image was basically a dark frame. I closed MaximDL and connected to it with CCDOps with the same result, then I reconnected with MaximDL and then it stated working normally. I guided/imaged normally for about 2 hours and then the problem came back, restarting and reconnecting did not work this time. The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be the shutter not operating properly.

Nothing changed as far as the hardware setup and it's current iteration hasn't changed for a few months. The only thing that was different is last night was probably the warmest night we have had in months, it was about 20C when the night started and was about 12C when the camera failed the second time.

USB suspend is disabled, I double checked that. Is there any possible software setting that would cause this? Anything that I can check on the camera itself?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If the ST-I isn't getting sufficient power from the USB bus (it needs a port that can supply a full 500mA) it may not operate correctly. Check the USB cable for corrosion at the ST-I and computer connection.
    The shutter is electromagnetic. There is a coil that energizes and pulls a small magnet on the shutter.
    You could try a short cable (3' / 1m) between the camera and PC directly and see if it behaves differently.
    Sometimes the USB connector on the back fails to retain the cable securely as they age.

3. JoshuaHufford

Thanks Colin, I will check those things.

4. JoshuaHufford

I just tried it pointed at my light box and with no changes since last night it is currently working perfectly.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Are you using the original USB cable that came with the camera? We specially purchased cables that had extra thick power wiring. If you use a long cable that doesn't have that, the power will be unreliable.

6. JoshuaHufford

No but I'm using a shorter one from a powered hub that has thicker power wires in it, I'm pretty sure it was a brand that you suggested in a thread on here years ago.