Resolved FW8G guiding question

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Dave, May 17, 2022.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

Never had to think about this before since I was using Direct Guide with Paramounts but I have a different mount now and wondering if I need any additional cabling to the mount for guiding? I'm using a 16200 with SW8G self-guiding filter wheel.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It depends on the mount. Most of the modern mounts that support ASCOM have a "PulseGuide" capability through the ASCOM interface.

For old school mounts you have to use a "Tracking Interface Cable", also called a guider cable. See page 28 of the STXL-16200 user manual - the jack is called the "Scope Port". On mounts it's often referred to as the "ST-4 Interface" or "guider port". Plug the supplied cable into both.

https://diffractionlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/stxl_manual.pdf

You'll need to set up your software to use the scope port or Pulse Guide. In MaxIm DL Pro "Control Via" has to be set to "Camera Relays" for the scope port, or "Telescope" for PulseGuide. I don't recall what it's called in TheSky but there's a similar setting.

3. Dave

Dave Standard User

Thanks Doug. Is there a suitable commercial substitute for a guider cable since it looks like the one supplied got lost. I might have one with another SBIG camera but if not what would you recommend?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'd use the one from the other SBIG camera. If you can't find it then I'll dig up the part number of a suitable cable that you can buy directly from the supplier - it will be less expensive for you that way.

5. Dave

Dave Standard User

Found it!
    Thanks
    Dave