STX16803 with STX External Guider

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Omar Radwan, May 19, 2022.

1. Omar Radwan

Omar Radwan Standard User

Colin,
    Here is another issue I am having with the STX External Guider. Following the documentation, I set up the guide parameters. The calibration process was completed successfully. The SNR starts out at a good number then immediately drops. Can you direct me as to what settings I need to adjust.

Attached is the tracker log file.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It looks like it is not seeing a star at all.
    Are you sure you have the guider set to use the EXTERNAL guide chip in the remote guide head?
    Camera Control Window -Setup Tab - Camera 1 - [Setup].
    Guide Chip = External.

Did you capture the calibration images by checking Record Cal Images?
    If so, send them over.
    guide_optons.png
    Send over the MaxIm log as well so I can have a fast look.

3. Omar Radwan

Colin,
    Let's table this one for now until I can get the shutter issue resolved. Hopefully, it will be a quick turnaround.

Thanks
    Omar

4. Omar Radwan

Colin,
    Hope all is well. I wanted to reach out to you and ask about the camera repair. I sent the camera, AO, STX, FLI Research Grade SHO LRGB filter, and new filter wheel along with the other one that is not working to Bill two weeks ago. My last communication with Bill the day before yesterday basically stated that he has not had a chance to diagnose the shutter issue. I know that he is only working part-time on the service side but I would have at least expected some type of diagnostic to be performed within the two weeks that he has had the equipment.

I am hoping to have the equipment back to the dark site sooner than later as I am paying a monthly lease on a system that cannot be used at this time. I know this is not an issue you need to concern yourself with but I would really like to get everything back up and running soon.

As always I appreciate your assistance.

Best Regards,
    Omar

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We were unable to ship parts for any repairs to @Bill for the past couple of weeks due to the power outage and devastation in Ottawa. I'm not surprised that he has a backlog, and unfortunately these things happen.

6. Omar Radwan

Colin,
    Hope all is well. Just wanted to make you aware of an issue I am having with the STX filter wheel that was repaired along with the new one I purchased. I sent an email to bill this morning along with a few photos and will await his reply.

Here is what I sent Bill.

Hello Bill,

Hope all is well. So I am having a problem with not only the filter wheel you replaced but the brand new one I purchased directly from Sbig. The filter wheel that you repaired was attached to the camera. The filter wheel stopped working again so I opened the cover and could see that the optical sensor was partially snapped off the board. Since I had the other brand new unopened STX filter I figured I would just replace it for now. Unfortunately, when I opened the new filter wheel the optical sensor was snapped off and laying inside.

IMG_20220814_163324 - This is the new STX filter wheel I just opened. You can see the sensor laying on the left. The spindle I am pointing to was extremely loose which I believe caused the filter carousel to move side to side and break off the sensor.

IMG_20220814_16337: The STX that you repaired. As you can see the sensor is partially snapped off. The same spindle I am pointing to in image 1 was also extremely loose which most likely snapped the sensor.

I would like to get both sensors replaced as soon as possible and would prefer that the parts be sent to me. With my background in computer science and engineering, this is a simple repair.

If you have any questions please call me, 908 591-7418.

Best Regards,

Omar Radwan

Attached Files:

7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Omar,

Could you please provide the serial numbers for both filter wheels?

8. Omar Radwan

Tim,
    The serial # for the filter wheel I purchased in May 2022 is FWX210308. The serial number for the other filter wheel is 1307.

Thanks

9. Omar Radwan

Tim,
    I submitted the RMA.

Thank you for your assistance.