Seeing Monitor Software

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by THouse, May 16, 2015.

1. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

Will any new software be offered for the Seeing Monitor?
    What is offered now works but its from 2007, seems like its been left behind.

An example of being left behind is, the software installs fine on XP but it's over 10 years old and not supported
    Win7 requires you run as admin once so it works and Win 8.1 I had to turn off UAC to install and run.

Just wondering,

Tom

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

This is something we will be looking at.

3. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

Great, thanks for the quick reply.

Tom

4. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

I've been getting this error for, oh, 6 + years now whenever I try to FTP the seeing file while the unit is running. Timing deal probably but still.

"Error attempting to open file. Make sure the device door is closed and the destination disk is formatted and free of errors"

I have to use FTP after the unit has stopped collecting data. None of the other FTP's do this (weather station, cloud watcher, ASC to name a few) just the trusty Seeing monitor. I stopped asking for help a few years ago, figured I'll try again.

Any ideas,

Tom

5. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

Bump
    This is why I stopped asking for help, the more things change the more they stay the same...

Happens at least 3 times a week unless I don't FTP during the night. Talked to Wodowski years ago about it, no resolution.

Tom

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I've looked into the status of the original software. Ron Wodaski wrote it, I am told. We don't have the source code for it.

7. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

If you don't have the source code does that mean you will produce new control software for the seeing monitor?

Tom

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We've asked Ron if he can provide the source code.

9. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

Did Ron ever get you the source code? Just doing the bump up.

Tom

10. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

Bump again,

Tom

11. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

And another bump...

12. Dave Goodyear

Dave Goodyear Cyanogen Customer

I'll bump it for you too :p

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We did locate code for an old release, which lacks many of the features in the current software. So we still have no way to maintain the code.

Sorry, I'm not sure how this came to pass, as it was before our tenure.

14. THouse

THouse Cyanogen Customer

Okay, understand. Is anything going to happen with the software? Is this a case of the previous maker did it (SBIG) so sorry your SOL, I apologize, but this is what its starting to feel like.

Tom

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, I'm afraid that is the situation. At this point the software would have to be rewritten.

16. Mike Marinos

Mike Marinos Standard User

Will you share the code for the "old" release? I need to move two of these monitors off Windows unto a Linux box. Primarily I need the camera setup and commands for the TDI exposures as customized for this application.

Thanks,

17. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I've had a closer look at what we have. Prior to Aplegen closing down Alan was working on an ST-I based version of the seeing monitor, which was never released by SBIG. Unfortunately it works in a completely different way and doesn't use TDI. So it will not work with the ST-402 based seeing monitor. This is the only source code we have.

It appears that Ron Wodaski never shared the original seeing monitor source code with SBIG. If he did not keep it then it is lost and would have to be rebuilt from scratch.

If you would like to do that, the API for operating SBIG cameras, including TDI mode, is available on our web site. The operating principles of the original seeing monitor is described here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070614084316/http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/online.htm

I'm sorry we can't help more. This all happened a decade before we came on the scene.