ASCOM driver for STF-8300

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Aleh, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

Thanks, Adam. Headed there now!

2. Normand Rivard

Normand Rivard Standard User

Sorry for coming so late in this thread, but I need help on this topic. I am considering buying a used ST-10XME, but as my preferred observatory control application is NINA, I want to make sure it's going to work with this camera. I understand DL is not offering an ascom driver for older cameras (which is very regrettable), but I see in NINA documentation that SBIG camera are natively supported, although they don't mention which camera models. I posted a question on NINA forum and the answer was "It’ll be whatever models the legacy SBIG software supports", which leaves me in the dark again. Can someone shed some light on this? Will I be able to connect the camera to NINA? What about the guide camera?
    Thank you

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I can't speak for NINA, but their statement implies that they are supporting the legacy "SBIG Universal Driver". That driver supports ST, STL, STT, ST-I, STX, and STXL series.

The newer DL Imaging drivers support currently-manufactured cameras, including STC, Aluma CCD, Aluma AC, and StarChaser series. For those you would use our DL Imaging drivers along with the ASCOM wrapper.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Legacy SBIG = any camera that uses the SBIG Driver Checker and sbigudrv.dll drivers.
    That would be: ST / STL / STXL / STX / STT / STF series CCD cameras.
    We provided a 64-bit version of that driver.

ASCOM has been provided by us since 2018 for the SBIG STC / SC / Aluma CCD / Aluma AC series.

Yes, if the Nightime Imaging people implemented it properly.
    I tried it quickly and got this:
    st10_nina.png

I was unable to get it to work with the filter wheel - it reported an error on connection. You'll need to talk to them.

N.I.N.A. does guiding using third-party software. I couldn't figure it out. Again, not our product, talk to them.

5. Normand Rivard

Normand Rivard Standard User

Thank you, Colin and Doug. That helps me a lot. I will talk to NINA guys about the filter wheel issue. You're right : NINA talks to PHD2 to guide. I'll check with PHD2.
    -- Normand

6. LuxBC

LuxBC Standard User

Hi everyone!
    I own an STF 8300C and I consulted this forum a few years ago looking for information about ASCOM drivers for my camera but seeing that they were not available I just gave up. Today by chance I came across this thread again and discovered that the "HomeMade.SBIGCamera" ASCOM driver developed by Cedric is available. Before trying it I ask if anyone can confirm whether it is suitable for my STF 8300C.
    I also read that NINA now appears to support legacy "SBIG Universal Driver", can you confirm that my camera is supported?
    Thanks in advance for your cooperation and anyway thanks to Cedric for his effort.
    Clear skies from Italy!