Solar Imaging Techniques

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mike Hambrick, May 19, 2023.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I am starting to plan for the total solar eclipse next April. I need some recommendations and guidelines on imaging techniques using my SBIG cameras.

My plan is to use a 4" refractor with a Kendrick-Baader solar screen.
    I have three different cameras, but I am not sure which one will give me the best chance of getting any decent images.
    1. STXL16200 with FW8G filter wheel (LRGB, H-α, O-III, and S-II filters)
    2. ST2000-XM with CFW9 filter wheel (LRGB filters)
    3. STi Color
    I like the thought of being able to take a one-shot color image with the STi, but I am not sure that the field of view will be enough, even with a short focal length scope.

According to the datasheet, the STi can take 0.001 second exposures, but I think the shortest exposure time possible with the ST2000 and STXL16200 is 0.1 seconds. Is this short enough to be able to image the sun, even through a solar filter ?

I have read where some imagers remove the solar filter during totality. Is this advisable ? I believe that we will have about 4 minutes of totality in the location where I will be watching the eclipse.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Mike

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The STXL is a full-frame sensor and requires shutter operations on every exposure. It's limited to 0.1 second exposures. Probably not a good choice.

The ST-2000 has an interline sensor, so it is not dependent on the shutter and can take 0.001 second exposures. So that should work.

The STi is probably the easiest - short exposures, relatively fast download, color sensor. But it's also a relative small sensor so your resolution will be limited.

Absolutely yes during totality you must remove the solar filter. Otherwise you will not see anything. Just be sure to put it back on right after capturing the diamond ring.