Resolved ST-8XME & AO8 autoguiding tracking image issue

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by tsaker, May 19, 2024.

1. tsaker

tsaker Standard User

I have an ST-8XME & AO8. When using my AO8, the camera downloads a normal image to locate a guide star. When I switch to track, the autoguiding image shows several white pixels against a black background but no guide star and naturally, the guide star isn't acquired and doesn't track. This problem exists with both the RGH and the internal guide chip, whether I use MaxImDL or CCDOps, and at 1x or 2x binning and regardless of the exposure length. I changed the interface USB cable and got the same result. Is this a camera electronics issue needing service?

2. tsaker

tsaker Standard User

Update: Took the camera off the scope, put it on a test bench, swapped out the dessicant plug for the original (I changed the dessicant in the FP before the problem came up), plugged it into a different laptop. Power cycled the camera several times and it's working now.

Attached Files:

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Desiccant plug should have nothing to do with this. That said, it should be recharged probably twice a year, depending on your ambient humidity.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the chamber is soaking wet it can cause the CCD to not work, though that wouldn't explain the RGH.

Definitely agree with Colin - do your desiccant recharges proactively. Don't wait until the sensor gets contaminated with moisture. If you're in an arid location you might go a year or two; if it's normally very humid at your site then do it twice a year.

5. tsaker

tsaker Standard User

Thank you for responding. I think it could be a problem with my primary imaging laptop. I plugged the camera in and got the black screen of autoguider death. Cycled the camera twice, got the same result. Plugged it into the backup laptop and it worked fine, even after several cycles.