Resolved STXL-16200 and "Shutter Error"

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by EricC, Jul 25, 2024.

1. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

I have one of the earlier STXT-16200 cameras and sometimes get a Shutter Error - it happens in CCDOPS and Sequence Generator Pro. When it happens, I can see the shutter move, then the error appears.

Disconnecting the camera and reconnecting almost always works. The error is random - today I'm getting it every 30 or so images and yesterday it went 150 with no problem.

Is there anything I can do to try and debug the issue?

The camera is in a remote observatory that's a 2-day drive, so I don't get there very often. Sending it in for me is a last resort - I won't be able to take pictures for several months, until I visit the observatory again.

Thanks - Eric

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Is this a new problem?
    Getting increasingly worse?
    How can you see the shutter move?
    What version of software and drivers do you have?
    A mechanical problem is possible - eg loose screw(s), motor issue.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

This could be a shutter wheel sensor alignment issue, a mechanical problem such as failing bearing, interference with the shutter (caused by too-long screws in the front panel), intermittent connection to the sensor, etc. In other words, it is likely to be a hardware issue. I think it would have to come into the shop for diagnosis.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Oh... and the little magnets in the shutter wheel can also be an issue. They're needed for the position sensor.

5. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

The Shutter Error has been going on for a couple years but is getting a lot worse. It used to happen once every couple weeks, maybe? Now it's up to multiple times a night.

To see the shutter move I shine a flashlight down the refractor with the Lum filter. Very easy to see.
    Latest version of CCDOPS and latest drivers per Drivechecker.

I'll take the camera off and look for anything obvious. If I don't find anything I'll send it in (how do I do that?).

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

7. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Here's the bottom of the shutter from my STXL-16200. When I loosened the top bolt and remove the shutter, these two pieces came out. There were also some small pieces of black rubber (?), similar to what the filter wheel uses to keep the filters in. The rubber didn't make a complete circle so I don't know if it was on the bottom of the shutter or was from my filter wheel.

When I put the piece on the left with ball bearings into where the screw is on the right, then put the washer on that (either way - curved side up or down), then screw it back into the camera, the shutter wobbles and one side rubs against the camera. It's as if there should be another washer or something similar to raise the shutter a tiny bit to keep it from rubbing the camera.

Couple questions:
    1. Does it matter which way the washer goes on? Bent side up like a "U" or down?
    2. Is there another piece that I'm missing? Possibly rubber?

If there's something missing, that could explain the intermittent nature of the problem - if the missing piece is causing the wheel to wobble, it may sometimes wobble such that the tiny magnets near the edge of the shutter are too far from the sensor so are not detected.

Eric

upload_2024-8-3_20-55-22.png

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'll ask @Tim to respond. FYI we are closed Monday (statutory holiday here).

9. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I am not clear what the image is showing. Is this the bearing for the shutter on the camera, or your filter wheel? Could you provide a "zoomed-out" image for visual context?

10. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Tim,

The first picture is a closeup of the BOTTOM of the shutter, including the bolt, ball bearing device, and washer that go in the middle of the shutter.

Here's the TOP of the shutter on the camera. Ignore the blue cloth - it's to keep dust out of the camera.
    upload_2024-8-6_17-44-2.png

Here's a closeup of the picture above. The bolt is the same on as in the original picture on the right.

upload_2024-8-6_17-48-14.png

The order is: 1) the ball bearing device goes in the hole on the top, balls down, then 2) you put the bolt through the hole in the ball bearing device.

If you turn the shutter over, you'll see the bolt sticking through the hole (see original picture). You put the 2nd ball bearing device in, balls down so the bolt sticks out.

I'm not sure what comes next on the bottom. The washer? Which way - bend up or bend down?
    Is there another piece that goes on the bottom before screwing the bolt into the camera?

11. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Here is a snippet from our assembly process for installing the shutter hub.

Attached Files:

12. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

@Tim,

EXCELLENT! Just the info I needed. Thanks!

I'm missing the Washer (51413) on the bottom which is hopefully why the wheel wobbles.

Do you have a part number for Washer (51413) so I can buy it at a hardware store or on-line?

If not, what's the fastest way to get one from you? I'm in New Mexico.

If I get the washer from you I might as well get a new Silicone O-Ring size 2-047 (11-12322-00)

Eric

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

14. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Thanks @Doug and @Tim. Great service.
    The order arrives Monday.

15. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

I put on the missing washer and a new O-Ring, then used CCDOps to take 1,500 pictures and had NO errors. Yea!!!
    Thanks again @Doug and @Tim.