FW failure

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by robert Matthew fields, Jul 25, 2024.

1. robert Matthew fields

robert Matthew fields Standard User

Running Aluma CCD 814 with FW8, Maxim 6.5 and now 7.0.0.2. FW won't rotate to new position and arrests camera. Camera is powered via directly as I thought it was an Eagle 4S power issue at first. This is a newer problem over the last few months. Attached is log from Maxim 6.5,
    System
    Eagle 4s
    ACP 9.1
    Maxim 6.5 followed by 7.0.02

Thanks for looking at this.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Does the filter wheel find the home position when you initially power it up?
    e.g. it will spin the wheel until it finds filter #1.
    What is the serial number of the filter wheel?
    This sounds more likely to be a mechanical issue, like slack belt or motor related issue.

3. robert Matthew fields

It does start up fine and change positions typically without issue until starting run. So I can move filters without issue before start of run. Inspection of the wheel is unremarkable according to the remote imaging manager. (All equipment is remote from me and in another state) I don't have the serial number immediately accessible but will send in a few days after I return home. It is a FW8S-Aluma filter wheel. I can reset remotely by cycling power to camera and then wheel moves appropriately for awhile.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
  4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

As the auto mechanics say, "no fault found"...
    The log looks fine, no errors, the 10 minute exposures start and stop properly, filter wheel moves between slot 1 and 6.
    Seems like a perfect run.

I need more information. Questions:

1. What is driving this? e.g. third party software like DC3Dreams ACP Expert?
    Can you provide the logs from ACP showing a problem?

2. Check that the firmware and drivers are current:

Quit all software.
    Start the DL Config Utility.
    Click on the AL814 in the list.
    In the middle column, it will show the Serial Number and Firmware Rev.

Is it firmware Rev 27?
    If not, the update is here:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/aluma-fpga-firmware/

Help... About DL Config
    This will show the versions of all the DL Imaging driver components.
    [Copy to Clipboard]
    Paste that in your reply.

3. How do you know there is a fault?
    What specifically is indicating a failure?

5. robert Matthew fields

1. Yes running ACP but have been running without ACP to remove ACP from error so just using Maxim. Start up camera and connect without difficulty. FW is accessible and then when I switched to different filter. "waiting for wheel" This goes on indefinitely, minutes just frozen. When I attempt to change filter, filter options are "greyed out". Resolution only after recycling power to camera, but then reoccurs.
    2. Firmware checks out. Rev 27. downloaded again and uploaded to make sure previous wasn't corrupted per se. Uploaded and recycled without a problem.
    3. Sorry, had to just take photo as could not take remote print screen. (didn't know how). Photo attached.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

7. robert Matthew fields

Ok, Working on this.

8. robert Matthew fields

I went through this and found one USB needing a change in power management. I did a run of flats, darks and bias to see if I could get system to fail. Basically everything looks ok except that "waiting for filter wheel" is still a problem. The run was about 2/3 done meaning when it failed so it went through numerous filter changes without a problem and then just stuck. I took video of DL and the clock on the bottom was active...just kept running but no filter wheel change. After it was clear the filter was not changing I aborted the run. Log attached.

Attached Files:

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Was the failure at this time?
    08:22:20>4 Filter wheel moving to position 5
    08:38:46$4 Camera Sequence Aborted

10. robert Matthew fields

Yes, that is it.

11. robert Matthew fields

Colin, I went to the length of replacing the computer with an Eagle 5 Pro and everything started up ok but then same results with filter wheel not responding. Inspection is second hand but from experienced team at remote observatory. They separated from camera and could not find obvious issues. Taking FW out of picture shows that camera is operating just fine. I ran equipment off of N.I.N.A. to take software issues out of being likely and all equipment except FW working ok. I ordered a replacement FW from your website to see if this rectifies this as so far nothing else definitive.

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Robert, we're out of stock on this filter wheel. I think we may have one refurbished unit on hand.

Have the folks at the remote site opened the filter wheel to see if it is trying to move at all?
    If you want to put them in touch with us, please do so.

Your choices are :
    (a) Send the FW in for diagnosis and repair, or (b) I can offer a discount on the refurb unit.

Option (a) makes the most sense to me, and if so, please complete this form so it can be sent in:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/request-rma/
    My colleagues in our repair department will review and get back to you with instructions on shipping the equipment in.

13. robert Matthew fields

Ok, I think going with option (a) makes sense too. How much is "discount" on refurbished unit? The remote team has opened FW and didn't find anything visibly wrong but that was a while ago so I can have them reinspect this week.