Recently Fixed Camera Not Working

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mark de Regt, Oct 11, 2024 at 2:11 AM.

1. Mark de Regt

Mark de Regt Cyanogen Customer

One more thing, which indicates a Maxim 7 issue instead of an ACP/Maxim issue: Taking ACP out of the system (by clicking on "Abort" on the ACP panel, and unchecking "Dispatcher Running" on the Scheduler panel) , I kept the mag 7 guide star on the guide chip, then clicked on "locate" in the SBIG AO Control panel on Maxim 7, and had exactly the same experience--at 0.02 second guide duration, Maxim 7 could not find the very bright star with the AO engaged, even though it was clearly there; at 0.07 second guide duration, Maxim 7 found the star and guided just fine with the AO.

2. Mark de Regt

Thanks! It was set in Maxim 6.4 (I don't have 6.5), but not in Maxim 7. But I don't see how that could be causing Maxim not to recognize a bright guide star?

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I did not say that the bright star recognition problem is directly related; however this is still an error that must be fixed, as it impacts a bunch of calculations.

If you have not enabled Auto Dark substraction on the guider, it is harder to separate the star from the background. So I would recommend checking if this is enabled.
    With the STX Guider, it has a dark shutter which can be used for this purpose.
    There is an approximate Signal to Noise ratio that is used to separate the star from the background noise (eg dark current, hot pixels).
    The SNR may be too low due to the bright background.
    0.02s would allow in ideal conditions 50Hz update rate (the system can't do it, the hardware can't move that fast).
    0.1s would allow 10Hz update rate in ideal conditions.
    So perhaps just bump up your exposure time.

Calculations around star magnitude are used in some places in MaxIm, for example, in the information window.

For it to know distances to send to the mount or timing for guide pulses, it requires parameters such as pixel size which it gets automatically from the camera, and from the optical parameters, which are not usually available automatically.

MaxIm will log errors. For example, if you View.. Log Window, and had a look you would likely see something like this:
    02:38:31$5 Warning - Error getting guider imageError -
    Error computing arc seconds per pixel
    Focal length invalid or inaccessible

Does that help?

BTW the window going mostly white is a version 7 issue we're aware of and plan to fix in an upcoming release.

4. Mark de Regt

Ironically, auto-dark was checked in Maxim 7, but not Maxim 6.4. Yet, Maxim 6.4 has no problem finding the star, and Maxim 7 cannot find the star.

I will try again tonight, to see if the settings info makes any difference.

I get about 8.7Hz on the AO with 0.01 second guide exposures; 8.3 at 0.02; 6.7 at 0.05. So, I'm guiding with the AO at much less than the "ideal" rates But I'm not ready to just have slower guiding because my Maxim 7 cannot pick out the guide star in situations in which Maxim 6 has no problem. Assuming adding site and scope data to settings doesn't change the performance, I'm suspecting something in your code in Maxim 7 isn't allowing the software to pick out the star, given that Maxim 6.4 has no problem with it.