STF-8300M Downloads Saturated Image

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Tony Stephens, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Tony Stephens

Tony Stephens Tony Stephens Cyanogen Customer

I updated my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and cannot get my STF-8300M to download an image.

I used the Driver Checker to update the drivers. See the attachment "SBIG Driver Checker.jpg". However, when I attached the STF-8300M to the laptop, Widows 10 installed a driver and then gave conflicting messages. On the one hand, it said the latest driver had been installed. But on the other hand, it said that the installation was incomplete. The attachment "Windows Driver Properties.jpg" shows a Windows device driver dated 1/20/2011. The latest entry under Device Manager Events led to the detail shown in the attachment Driver Installation Failure.txt.

When I try to operate the STF-8300M using CCDOPS5, the image comes out completely black. I know light was entering the camera, but there was not a single bright pixel. There was not even any thermal noise in the image. Also, there was no way to operate the filter wheel.

Normally I use Maxim DL 6.08. When I try to operate the STF-8300M using Maxim DL 6.08 everything appears to go as it had under Windows 7. The filter wheel works OK. However, when the image starts to download, "Camera Error 8" shows up and the camera becomes inoperable. No image is downloaded.

Help!

Tony Stephens
    tstephens@cableone.net

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I don't think Windows 10 is an issue. From your description it sounds like it was already not working under Windows 7. Upgrading to Windows 10 isn't going to fix anything, and is only likely to confuse matters.

Let's make sure there's not some configuration problem with the computer first. Can you try the camera on a different computer?

3. Tony Stephens

Doug,

You were right. I attached the camera to another laptop running Windows 7 and got the camera to download images with both CCDOps 5 and Maxim DL 6. The attached images show the results for lens cap covered, 1 sec exposure, and no calibration. I also took images with the lens cap off and got the same results. In every case, all the pixels were saturated. When I first got the camera, I know it worked OK under Maxim DL 6 because I made a whole suite of reasonable-looking dark frames.

What shall I do?

Tony

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Would it be possible to set up a remote login session so Adam can have a look at it? It would be good to ensure there isn't some settings issue that can be resolved remotely. Otherwise it may have to go in for service.

5. Tony Stephens

I would be willing to do a remote log-in, but I do not know how to do it. Would it be done on the Windows 10 or the Windows 7 machine?

6. Tony Stephens

Doug,

I have done careful additional testing and composed a document giving the results and conclusion. I do not think a remote logon would be of any use and I would like to return the camera for repair or replacement. I would like to ship only the camera, but I do not have a cover for the camera body, so I propose to ship the camera with the filter wheel attached. If the return is approved, please give me whatever information I will need to accomplish the return.

Tony

Attached Files:

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Tony,

Do you have a voltmeter? Call me tomorrow, 805 308-6979, if you have one I'd like to measure a 5V Regulator, regardless of that measurement, I can give you the details on sending your camera in.

-Bill

8. Tony Stephens

Bill,

Yes I have a voltmeter. I'll call you tomorrow. You are in California, right?

Tony