AO 8 with unguided robotic mount

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by MarkS, Aug 3, 2015.

1. MarkS

MarkS Standard User

I have an ASA telescope and mount, and am using a STT 8300M camera.
    Can I use the AO 8 at 1700mm focal length without guiding? Should I expect the same performance improvement as with a guided system?

MarkS

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If your mount is aligned well enough that the drift is small, and the periodic error is not terrible, then you can run the AO without mount control.

3. MarkS

MarkS Standard User

Thanks Doug,
    There is no periodic error. Tracking is within 1 arcsec over >10min, so I should be OK.
    I think I would need a FWG filter wheel, rather than the standard. Is this correct?

Regards,
    Mark

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes you will want the self-guided filter wheel. FW8G-STT.

5. MarkS

MarkS Standard User

Sorry I'm being a bit slow here - this is my last concern: the Barlow corrector on my telescope is 50mm diameter. The AO-8T internal diameter will need to be close to this figure to avoid vignetting, as it will be close to the Barlow lens. By my simple calculation, a T-thread coupling will vignette.

So....what are the coupling options for the AO-8T?

Regards,
    Mark

6. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Mark,
    Are you using the OK3 Adapter For 2" Barlow Lens ?
    I can pull the mechanical for the AO-8T cover plate and get back to you with all options on Wednesday.

Regards
    Tim

7. MarkS

MarkS Standard User

Hi Tim,

Yes, I'm using the OK3. I will need to get a new short OK3 adapter made, which is no problem for me provided the AO-8T clearance diameter - including coupler -is greater than ~46mm at the face closest to the Barlow.

Regards,
    Mark