STXL-6303 guider camera suddenly started making totally black images

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Larry M. Leitch, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Larry M. Leitch

Larry M. Leitch Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    I was imaging with TSX and Maxim 6 controlling the camera. The system was guiding fine and then suddenly started producing totally black guide frames. Pixel values were NaN. I disconnected the camera from Maxim, powered down the camera for several seconds, powered back up, re-connected the camera in Maxim and used the GuiderCapture program to capture the guide images. Several of the images are in the attached .zip file.

This happened 3 times last night.

My firmware is version 2.41 and the current is 2.43. I have read that you should not update unless needed because you might end up with a brick. Should I update?

Hardware problem possibly?

All help will be appreciated!

Larry Leitch

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Does the same issue occur with the main imaging camera?

Are you using the internal tracking CCD?

Are your drivers up to date?

Do you have the latest version 6.08 of MaxIm DL installed?

3. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Larry,
    maybe, you could check configuration of your camera using CCDOps as described in our "How To" section.
    Then you could create a log file via SbigDriverChecker64 application. In this case, select either all checkboxes
    using "All" button and/or "Camera" checkbox only, which checks if your images are blank, ie. ADU = 0. Take
    a few tracking images, than send me your log file for inspection.
    Jan

4. Larry M. Leitch

I do have the latest version of Maxim.

The sbigudrv.dll in the driver was one day out of date and I updated that to 01-30-15. Also updated the firmware.

Last night, I collected >2500 guider frames looking at an electro-luminescent flat panel with no problem frames. The images were only 9 kb.

Attached is a log file (in 2 parts). If it is not what is needed then I will need further instruction.

Larry Leitch

Attached Files:

5. Jan Soldan

I have checked both log files, but I do not see any error there. Also, some of your images from your zip file above have some stars inside, some
    looks to have ADU of all pixels zero. So, have no idea what to check now.
    Jan

6. Larry M. Leitch

I was imaging last night and some of the images from the main imager were good, some had large patches of gray and black, some were mostly black with some spots of white (larger than a star), and some were totally black. I quit at 2:00 AM. At 6:00 AM, I got good flats. The problem is intermittent. This camera is not usable in this condition.

The images are too large to attach. Would looking at them be useful? Dropbox?

Larry

7. Jan Soldan

Yes, you can put some to Dropbox. BTW, I was not able to open your fits above using neither Maxim 6 nor CCDOps
    applications. I had to use another app.
    Jan

8. Larry M. Leitch

9. Larry M. Leitch

Last night I was imaging M81. I got 4 good images and then on black/gray image and from then on all images were totally black.

I have examined the USB connections and have found no problems. The camera is connected directly to the Mac-Mini computer; there is no hub between the camera and the computer.

This camera is less than a year old and I assume that it is still under warranty. What do I have to do to get it into a usable state?

Thanks.

Larry

10. Larry M. Leitch

11. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I just spoke with you on the telephone. As we discussed, try setting your camera set point temperature to -30 or higher instead of -35 and see if it makes any difference. If not, give Bill in repairs a call and see if he has any ideas.

12. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I have a feeling this camera might need the mod done at the fan connector in the rear of the camera. It's fairly easy to do if you can solder a short jumper wire. Email me tomorrow Larry, bill@sbig.com, and we can determine if this is indeed the case.

-Bill

13. yves jongen

yves jongen Cyanogen Customer

14. yves jongen

Hi all, I met several times this problem with my STLX 11002. Finally, by trial and error, I could find that the problem is related to the HDMI cable connecting the guiding CCD and the camera. This short HDMI cable, supplied with the camera is relatively thick and heavy, and is not very much constrained in the female HDMI plugs located in the camera and the filter wheel. In my camera, the slightest lateral push on the cable is enough to lose contact, and black images are obtained for the guider. Sometimes, even the weight of the short HDMI cable is enough to stop the contacts as the telescope is slowly rotating during the night.
    Do you have an hardware solution to suggest to have a more reliable connection between the guiding CCD in the filter wheel and the main camera?
    Thanks for your help!
    Yves

15. Larry M. Leitch

Is it only the guider camera that gives totally black images?
    My main camera gave the black (and otherwise worthless) images.
    Did some cable restraining straps fix your problem?

Larry Leitch

n

16. yves jongen

Hi Larry, then we do not have the same problem. In my case, when I have a bad contact in the HDMI cable connecting the tracking CCD in the filter wheel box and the main camera, the guider images are totally black (no noise, intensity = 0.00) but the main camera images come OK. I tried to put cable restraining straps on the HDMI cable, but then the contact was permanently off because the straps were exerting some lateral force on the HDMI cable, and with the slightest lateral force on the HDMI cable, the contact is interrupted with my guider CCD. So I took the straps away, and it works sometimes and fails sometimes.
    Friendly regards
    Yves

17. Larry M. Leitch

I sent my camera back to SBIG and I am waiting for results. They are really backed up.

18. Larry M. Leitch

The camera is now working. It has been working since late spring(?), early summer. No problems. The culprit was two missing jumper wires.
    It is a great camera - now.
    Larry