'Shutter error'

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Geoff Stone, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Geoff Stone

Geoff Stone Cyanogen Customer

I posted earlier about this problem where Maxim throws a dialog box saying error 17 which in this case is a problem with the guide camera shutter. I spoke with Bill Lynch and he explained how to check out the shutter operation. I did that today.

The bottom line is that the shutter seems to work just fine but I see some strange behavior.

Using Maxim I set up to take repeated short exposures using the guide camera. What I see is that every 7-8 exposures the camera does a 'double take'. What I mean by this is the shutter opens and closes twice. I have a video in which you can see the guide camera shutter and the main camera shutter movements that shows this behavior.

I have also found that if I usr Ethernet to talk to the camera (my normal configuration) I get an error 17 dialog box when this 'double take' happens. If I use USB it does not seem to open the dialog box even though it still does the double take.

At this point I do not believe there is anything wrong with the guide camera shutter. The shutter operates freely and there is no binding of any kind. In every case where I saw the 'error 17' dialog box the shutter did in fact open and close - as far as I can tell twice in fact.

This behavior started immediately after doing the last driver upgrade.

For the time being I'm switching over to using USB to see if the problem still occurs.

As I mentioned I have a video of this if that is helpful.

2. Geoff Stone

Geoff Stone Cyanogen Customer

After several nights running over USB this problem has not recurred. It only happens when using Ethernet to communicate with the camera.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015