Driver issues with Sequence Generator Pro

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Miguel Garcia, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia Standard User

Having issues with Sequence Generator Pro and my STF-8300M:

- Erratic disconnections, associated with interrupted frame/focus routines (drivers?)
    - Relatively slow download times ( 2 seconds)

I tried with Sequence Generator support and they directed me to SBIG

Details in this thread:
    http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/connectivity-issues-with-sbig-camera/2663

Wondering if anyone out there is using Sequence Generator Pro with an STF-8300 camera...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. Kirk

Kirk Standard User

I have received the RX Timeout error. Since I had just purchased My STF8300M used, I suspected a defective camera. I was able to eliminate the error by not running the USB connection to the laptop through my StarTech USB hub which is considered an industrial grade device. I ran My ST8300 through it for 4 years without issue, but the STF8300M seems to not like it. BTW I was using SGP when this happened, but it also happens with other capture software as well, so it does not look like a SGP problem. You might want to check your USB connection for the camera.

3. Miguel Garcia

If it was a USB connection problem I would think similar issues would happen when using CCDOps or Maxim DL ( and I tried to make it "fail" with CCDOps extensively).

Everything else the same, USB ports, cables, computer, etc...only seem to fail with SGP.

4. Miguel Garcia

If I can get some guidance about how to capture a log when the error occurs I can perhaps send this over to SGP people pointing to the problem. Unless it is related to the "2011" SBIG driver issue I posted in a separate thread.

5. Kirk

Kirk Standard User

I believe the logs are in the "C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator\Sequence Generator Pro" folder

6. Miguel Garcia

thanks...but tree structure in my windows 10 machine does not correspond...

7. Kirk

Kirk Standard User

Make sure you have configured Windows to "Show Hidden files, folders and drives"

I found my logfile in : C:\Users\"my user name"\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator . Note "my user name" is the name I log on with to use the computer. Mine is a Windows 7 machine. My logfile name is "sg_logfile_20151205181015.txt".

The text I found for the error I was experiencing was:
    [12/6/2015 12:08:11 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SBIG Error while downloading image: RX_TIMEOUT
    [12/6/2015 12:08:11 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SBIG Camera: end readout...
    [12/6/2015 12:08:11 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Error while attempting to capture frame...

As I said before, I was having this issue in CCDOPs as well, so maybe we have a different issue.

8. Miguel Garcia

Kirk, thanks!...found the logs.

I sent them over to SG... and they told me it is a problem between the driver and the camera...really don't know what to throw away now, the camera or the software....I guess time will tell.

9. Kirk

Kirk Standard User

Hi Miguel,
    You are welcome.
    I really love SGP for the auto-focusing, plate solving and integration with PHD2..they are such great features. It would be a shame if you could not continue to use it, but if you cannot get subs down to the camera it would be of no use to you until you can solve the issue. I assume you have loaded the newest firmware and drivers from SBIG for the camera, I think I saw that in another thread. You are correct the newest driver is indeed 2.41.0.2, but I did notice that in the driver configuration you indicated that you have a Pro Model with the RGH Connector. I do not think you should chose that as it does not apply to the STF8300. I cut and pasted the below from your post in another thread.

Kirk

upload_2015-12-9_19-52-37.png

10. Miguel Garcia

Kirk, you found the problem.

For some reason I understood from the instructions that this was the right setting for the camera...but it is not.

SG is now much more stable, no more "driver not open" error messages in the log. I was able to get a timeout Rx message but after a much longer test period of very fast sub captures... I think likely similar to what you have experienced.... this I think I can live with. I was very close to send my camera to SBIG for diagnostic...you saved me from this.

Thanks much!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  11. Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland Standard User

It seems a shame to have to rely on the user getting this sort of critical thing correct.

Would it be possible for the driver or installer to sort it out by looking at the camera hardware?

Chris

Chris Madson likes this.
  12. Kirk

Kirk Standard User

Hi Miguel,
    You are welcome and I am glad that solved your camera issue. Let's hope for some clear skies now!
    Regards,
    Kirk