2 SBIG ST 4000 (XM and XMC) controlled simultaneously ... how?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Dario, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Dario

Dario Standard User

Hello guys,

Sbig, NOT ever created two different drivers, so, when I connect via USB the two SBIG, Maxim NOT recognize me the two cameras.
    Wanting to take simultaneously with both, and drive with the third CCD and third telescope with PHD.

Can you help me? I tried to disable the use of the second CCD (internal) drive, to free "space" of the CCD manager window, but it seems that the software fails to understand that they are two CCD.

I hope someone will be able to help me.

Thank you

Dario

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It should work. The driver is capable of controlling two SBIG cameras simultaneously, and so is MaxIm DL.

3. Dario

Dario Standard User

It will be possible, but then I do not know how to do. 1 being two ST4000 XM and XMC, have the same driver and it seems that the software does not recognize it as different and not conflict. Is there a way with Maxim to understand that these are two different Sbig? After that he sees then crashes the software. I do not know how to do.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Make sure both cameras are connected before starting the software. Make sure Dual Chip is NOT selected in the Setup tab.

In the SBIG Universal setup for Camera 1, pick the first camera model in the Connect To drop-down list. Then for Camera 2 select the second camera model in the Connect To list. Since these are very similar models they may have the same name in the list - just make sure you select a different entry (e.g. the 1st one for Camera 1, and the 2nd one for Camera 2).

5. Dario

Dario Standard User

Thanks Doug,

It will as soon as possible, the evidence more carefully, maybe my mistake was that Maxim was heading first and then the two inserivo Sbig. The problem was that even though I could see at the end of the second half, when it was time to download the image, the software then went wild, not realizing who it was a more and who the other. But maybe it was not the first inserivo Sbig and then was heading. Finally (I hope not to bore you), I can simultaneously manage the focus, having two electric focusers?

Dario

6. Dario

Dario Standard User

I forgot: but the second window of Maxim which usually is used for driving, since it is a recovery and not images to guide; if imposed shooting with automatic save, how can I set two different ways of naming to understand which are RGB and such narrow-band?

Look forward...

Thank you

Dario

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding your questions.

8. Dario

Dario Standard User

Good morning,I hope to explain, are not very good at writing in his language.So, let's say Maxim, following the procedure that she told me (before connecting the two Sbig and then the software), does not have conflicts and understand ALWAYS, which in the left window, there is always the XMC (switched off with the guide ), and that to the right there is always the XM (also turned off with the guide); if I set shots with saving automatic; They would and should go together the two Sbig (course setting identical times and the rest all the same), with save / auto. Will they? If yes, when will download the images, they always will together?This is because it is essential that when one begins to resume (with the timing of recovery and the stand-by set for the dittering) there are no discrepancies.I would also try to automate a lot more, but that in itself could be enough. BUT ... if I'm not mistaken, the two chambers NOT downloading the images together, but first one, then the other, so I would lose synchronization.Last but one thing seems to understand, you can not configure the save automatically, putting a name for RGB and another for the narrow bands for saving ... this: NOT creates conflicts or create the same name?Could there be the same problem with the auto-management, having two CCD working in contemporary art?I hope I explained.I'm waiting...Dario

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I think I understand - you want two cameras imaging simultaneously and saving at the same moment, with filter information, etc., saved with them.

Unfortunately MaxIm DL is not designed to do this. You may be able to do some of this using scripts, but the package wasn't designed to control three cameras. Running two copies of MaxIm DL might allow you to run an extra camera, but there are problems. The old ST cameras do not have frame buffers, so there might be timing interference between the two cameras that could cause readout artifacts. There's also no easy way to synchronize the operations between the two cameras.

10. Dario

Dario Standard User

Hello Doug,

here !!! I felt that with the evidence that I had done that in reality, the second CCD could be just a ccd guide!

With this, I was intrigued by Mr. Doug !!! (There's also no easy way to synchronize the operations between the two cameras) How do you sync?

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The only way to ensure the two cameras start their exposure simultaneously is to use an external trigger signal. I'm not sure if that is supported by the model of camera you are using.

12. Dario

Dario Standard User

Now am I not to have understood. What do you mean? It 'a guess or is there a way, and if so, how?

I apologize, but it is not easy to fully understand it.

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There is a control for enabling external trigger mode, see http://www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/HIDD_SETUPST7.htm

External trigger uses a digital logic signal on the I2C port. When you start the exposure in software, it waits until the signal appears on the I2C port, and then proceeds with the exposure.