6303E - Lots and Lots of Hot Pixels

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Jim Morse, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Jim Morse

Jim Morse Cyanogen Customer

Please see the attached file which is a jpeg of my 10 minute master dark. It seems to have a massive number of hot pixels, with trailing horizontal pixel lines in most cases. Requires heavy processing to eliminate. Is this normal or do I need to send this in for servicing?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Jim Morse

Here is the file. Wouldn't load the first time so I just made a crop to make it smaller but it shows what I am talking about.

Jim

Attached Files:

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It looks like maybe something is wrong with the camera... BUT that image has been processed in PixInsight. It has no data on cooler settings, etc., and it looks like it's had some processing done to it. Please submit a raw FITS file directly from the camera.

4. Jim Morse

Doug,

Right, should have thought about that, but its the same with the raw sub. Shot at the limit, -35C. Again had to crop to get upload to work.

Best,

Jim

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What is the camera serial number?

6. Jim Morse

Doug,

I am getting that for you (away from home so need to contact New Mexico Skies for the serial number which is where I got it in December 2015 and where it is used remotely). One thing I didn't think to check earlier was to blink the dark subs. While some of the hot pixels stay put, many if not most jump around from sub to sub. That is why the Master is such a mess since it is accumulating all the different locations for the hot pixels from 100 dark subs.

Jim

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay that sounds like an interference/electrical noise problem. Can you upload a second, different dark frame with the same settings? I'd like to see the "jumping around" part.

8. Jim Morse

Doug,

These 5 are crops of exactly the same field (using Pixinsight Dynamic Crop tool).

Blinking makes my point obvious.

Jim

Attached Files:

9. Jim Morse

Doug,

The serial number is X15110003. Mike Rice has pulled the camera off the scope and tested it in isolation with all other equipment removed and sees the same thing so it likely needs to come in. If you send me instructions, I will send those along the New Mexico Skies for them to ship to you for repairs. Just to note, hopefully the repairs will also address some other issues I have been having with the CCD and the SkyX Camera Add-on and CCDAP5. I get intermittent error messages when changing filters or with the CCD timing out that makes automation hugely problematic since the automation programs shut down as soon as an error happens. As such it has been impossible to use AP% to date and I need to run each filter separately when imaging. On the filter issue, which is the biggest headache, when I hit the manual filter change a second or third time the error clears and the filter moves fine. But its that first error that shuts down the automation. Hopefully you have a fix for that as wel or its the same interference causing the filter mess. Be sure to let me know all of what you want sent in since I have the self guiding filter wheel and the AOX, though the AOX was not hooked up when I shot the darks I attached above..

Best,

JIm

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It definitely needs to go in for service. Sorry for the trouble. Please contact Bill @ SBIG Service & Repair and get an RMA number (see http://www.sbig.com/support/technical-support/). Be sure to inform him of both the streaks and the filter changing problem.

Please have them send in the camera, filter wheel, power brick, and all cables being used.