A new problem with attaching a STXL 16200 to a self guiding filter wheel

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Steve Crouch, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Steve Crouch

Steve Crouch Cyanogen Customer

I had a problem with this a while ago which I eventually resolved (can’t remember how). Now a different problem has developed. For reasons which I won’t go into to keep this post short I had to change the 16200 to a backup filter wheel. When I tested the new configuration with CCDops the filter carousel didn’t move at all but just makes a chattering sound. There doesn’t seem to be any obstruction as I can move the carousel freely with my finger. The spindle tension seems to be okay.

Any ideas?

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Steve, Im just another customer.
    That's not a lot to go on. What was the old problem?
    Is the connection between the filter assy and the camera ok?
    Is power supply ok?

3. Steve Crouch

Colin

I had a thread called “problem attaching a filter wheel to a STXL 16200” about a year ago. I’m using Tapatalk at the moment on a tablet and I don’t know how to reference that directly in my reply. Basically there seemed to be some obstruction preventing the shutter moving. This problem is different. The filter wheel simply won’t rotate when I connect the power. It just makes a “chattering “ noise. I can freely move the filter wheel with my hand so there doesn’t seem to be an obstruction. I’ve been using this power supply for at least a year without any problem and the connections are also the same.

The difference with my previous configuration is that this is a different STXL filter wheel.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm going to have to suggest contacting Bill @ service. bill@sbig.com

5. Steve Crouch

Yeah I thought it might come to that. Currently I’ve managed to improvise a solution with another filter wheel so it’s not so urgent anymore.