AC4040 + 50 mm round filters?

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Eric Dose, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Eric Dose

Eric Dose Cyanogen Customer

I'm looking at an Aluma AC4040 camera to replace my STXL-6303E that no one seems to be able to repair any more (shutter fails every 1-2 months). The AC4040 is said to require 50 mm square filters, but 50 mm square Sloan filters do not appear to be available, anywhere on the planet at any price. I do have a full set of 50 round Sloans.

So my question: is it possible to pair a filter wheel carrying 50 mm round filters with the AC4040? (Or does there exist a round filter-to-square slot adapter of some kind?)​

Of course the vignetting will be terrible and I will have to crop and re-plate-solve each image (easy to automate, happily) from 4K x 4K to about 2500 x 2500--but that's ok, it resembles what my 6303E has given. But until somebody out there wakes up and actually ships the filters they claim to make but don't, I'm not sure what choice I have. Then, when the 50 mm square filters become available (hopefully some year before the sun goes red giant), I would of course install the proper filter wheel.

Thank you for any guidance.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

All the AFW filter wheels are compatible electrically and mechanically, so you can use the AFW-12-50R model. As you say it will vignette significantly.

3. Eric Dose

Eric Dose Cyanogen Customer

Good to know, thanks. AFW-12-50R seems to be the ticket, then.
    Now I can design the adapters to my existing rig, ensure proper backfocus, etc.
    Cheers --E.